Look Cleats Rocking

ibr17xvii
ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
Anyone got any tips to improve this?

Cleats are brand new & happens with both Grip & non Grip versions, I used the Black fixed float. Only ever used official Look cleats, not tried any of the others.

Pedals Look Keo Blade Carbon & are pretty much brand new, only been used indoors since December.

Difficult to describe symptoms - best way I can put it is the interface feels sloppy, a bit of vibration through the cleats themselves, a bit of movement, it just doesn't feel connected if that makes sense. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does it's very noticeable.

Used SPD-SL a while back & whilst they were fine I just find Look easier to get in & out of, personal preference I guess.

If anyone can give me their good news stories about what cleats they find work best or even I've read sticking handlebar tape on the metal interface - I'm willing to give anything a go!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Isn’t the tension adjustable on the pedals? May help if you try it.
  • diamonddog
    Just to add I use the basic Look Keo Classic pedals and the grey cleats with 4 degree float, used them for many years and never had a problem.
  • ibr17xvii

Isn’t the tension adjustable on the pedals? May help if you try it.

They’re the blades so tension isn’t adjustable. I use the 16nm but I don’t think that’s the issue.
  • diamonddog
    edited April 2020
    Road CC review of the Keo Blade states slight rocking as the downside to those pedals so you may be stuck with it.
  • ibr17xvii

Road CC review of the Keo Blade states slight rocking as the downside to those pedals so you may be stuck with it.

Yeah I’ve read that it’s just not something that’s happened before & I’ve been using Look a fair while now.
  • ibr17xvii
    Anyone else experienced this? It's irritating the hell out of me.

Much prefer Look for ease of clipping in & out but the sloppiness of the cleat / pedal interface is making me think I'd better off back on SPD-SL's as although I found clipping in / out harder the shoe is rock solid in the pedal.
  • Always had this issue with second generation blades with no difference between grey or black cleats. Get less movement with the cheaper classics on my turbo bike. For proper fixed solid pedal interface black cleats and early blades with the hole and thin blade down one side is the only combo I’ve found to work... Others I ride with have found the same issue.

I’ve seen pro team mechanics putting the bar tape end strips from lizard skin on the metal plate to tighten up the sloppiness and to reduce noise. I have tried it but you need to re-do it very often as clipping in and out wears it out.
  • ibr17xvii

Always had this issue with second generation blades with no difference between grey or black cleats. Get less movement with the cheaper classics on my turbo bike. For proper fixed solid pedal interface black cleats and early blades with the hole and thin blade down one side is the only combo I’ve found to work... Others I ride with have found the same issue.

I’ve seen pro team mechanics putting the bar tape end strips from lizard skin on the metal plate to tighten up the sloppiness and to reduce noise. I have tried it but you need to re-do it very often as clipping in and out wears it out.

I'm currently trying the Garmin Vector cleats that are more "Shimanoesque" as they have a lot more of the grip than the normal Look cleats. These seem a lot better but I'm still not 100% happy with them.

Not resorted to the bar tape method as yet although like you I have seen Pro team mechanics do this. Bit reluctant to go down that route although I might have to, will be cheaper than changing pedal systems across multiple bikes.