Speedplay Pedal Service Tip

I’ve just serviced my Speedplay pedals for the first time on a couple of bikes - I know, it takes a pandemic to get round to doing these sort of jobs! Here’s how I got on.

On the first bike, with the newer and less used pedals, I attempted to use the widely discussed plastic syringe method as I don’t have a Speedplay grease gun. Unfortunately, this proved difficult as I couldn’t get sufficient pressure and seal to fully purge out the old grease, despite using a couple different syringe types and sizes, as well as unsuccessfully resorting to using a ratchet clamp.

However, as I had an existing Hilka 120cc pistol grip grease gun, but not the required needle nose grease dispenser fitting, I looked at what options may be available. I ended up going with a Sealey AK447 which when dismantled, with some minor difficulty, fits perfectly onto the Hilka grease gun. I used this set-up on my other bike and it fitted and hey ho!, it worked perfectly allowing a decent seal and more than adequate pressure to do the job. I hope this helps and provides you with a cheaper alternative option for consideration. Cheers, Will

Comments