Another Newbie brake issue!

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!

I decided a few years back that I was going to try Mountain Biking and bought myself a Voodoo Hoodoo (the baby blue colour version, think it's 2017?). Anyway I didn't get around to 'getting into mountain biking' due to circumstances but I've decided that I am going to now and have started taking the bike out as my daily exercise.

The bike is pretty much in brand new condition but the brakes screamed whenever using them so I watched a video on how to fix this and ended up loosening the attach bolts, holding the brake lever and then tightening them back up.

It seems to work great as there is now no noise at all when I press the brakes. Unfortunately the bike doesn't stop either so I have clearly ballsed something up! The brake levers are extremely soft as if they aren't attached to anything. (This has happened to front and rear)

Any clue what I've done and how to fix?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It could be either they need a bleed or that the pistons are a bit sticky and you need to 'advance the pads' (google it).
    It's also quite possible the pads are loaded with humidity and need to dry out a bit, some resin pads really suffer from lack of use in this respect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apocc
    apocc Posts: 12

It could be either they need a bleed or that the pistons are a bit sticky and you need to 'advance the pads' (google it).
    It's also quite possible the pads are loaded with humidity and need to dry out a bit, some resin pads really suffer from lack of use in this respect.

Thank you. I ordered a bleed kit and was gonna have a stab at it myself as nowhere open to do it for me atm. Messing around with it before the kit arrives though and I seem to have fixed the issue by pumping the brakes over and over and they are both now working great. I can only presume this has pumped all the air out of the lines?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    edited April 2020
    No, you have moved the brake pads into position using hydraulic oil in the caliper reservoir. If you turn the bike upside down for any reason, it may happen again. But now you know how to fix it.

If you ever get air in the lines you will know. The lever will not be firm, the brake performance will be poor, and if you pump the lever repeatedly the braking will restore for a few seconds only.
  • apocc

No, you have moved the brake pads into position using hydraulic oil in the caliper reservoir. If you turn the bike upside down for any reason, it may happen again. But now you know how to fix it.

If you ever get air in the lines you will know. The lever will not be firm, the brake performance will be poor, and if you pump the lever repeatedly the braking will restore for a few seconds only.

Good to know, thanks.

I’ve been out on my bike this evening and had a blast, although I’m not fully happy with the rear brakes as they are still a little soft. How do I make them a little firmer?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If there is air in the brakes, and it sounds like there is, you need to bleed the brakes.
    Have a look on Youtube for a 'how to' video for your brakes and go from there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • apocc
    OK I bled the brakes today (first time I've ever done something like that!). It went surprisingly well and my house hasn't been burned down. Brakes work great now and I'm very pleased, thanks for the advice!

Another issue now, I need to correct my gears. I've watched vids on how to do it and it seems simple enough but I don't have a bike repair stand. What do you guys that don't have a stand use to prop the bike up while sorting the gears?
  • steve_sordy
    On the trail, I have hung the bike by the saddle from a tree branch. Failing that, you could use a washing line, a piece of wood between two garden chairs.....I'm sure I've given you some ideas.

I even fixed someone's gears while they held the rear of the bike off the ground.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    if they are shimano you could probably get away with a brake burp up at the lever and get some air out that way, otherwise a full bleed from caliper to lever be required.

the pads making noise have you cleaned them and then rubbed them over some emery cloth to take off the top layer, might just be glazed.
  • apocc

On the trail, I have hung the bike by the saddle from a tree branch. Failing that, you could use a washing line, a piece of wood between two garden chairs.....I'm sure I've given you some ideas.

I even fixed someone's gears while they held the rear of the bike off the ground.

Perfect, cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've never had a stand and build all my own bikes (and the families bikes - about 16 or so) and do all my own work.

Select the new gear, lift saddle with one hand, spin cranks with the other.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639

I've never had a stand and build all my own bikes (and the families bikes - about 16 or so) and do all my own work.

I only bought one when they were in aldi for 25 quid, I was happy with spending that for the limited use they get.
  • steve_sordy

And cycle through the gears with the third hand! :)
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    When fine tuning gears you can get it close enough when it is stationary, not having a bike stand a third hand would be useful!

I always find best way to really get shifting dialled perfectly is when your out riding providing the cable adjuster is on the shifter and not at rear mech of course.