Chain rub issues with Wahoo Kickr core

I got my new Wahoo Kickr Core setup with a new 11 speed Shimano CS-R8000 casette similar to the one on my bike. But doing so I get a lot of chain rub in almost all gears except the middle ones.

Shouldn't I be able to mount the bike without adjusting the index?

I believe I have mounted the cassette correctly without the small spacer and taking the cassette from my bike instead gives same result. So it's not related to any wear in the chain/Cassette.

I have no chainrub at all on my bike using same cassette.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Unfortunately there is no definitive standard for the distance of the cassette to the end of the axle. Most hubs are close enough that changing wheels or mounting on something like a Kickr are close enough to work, but it's not guaranteed. It sounds like you've unfortunately got a setup which is far enough away from the Kickr to cause problems, so you will have to re-index when swapping to get it working well.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Theoretically the cassette should be in the same place on the turbo as on your wheel but everything has tolerances and they can build up enough to put things slightly out just like you have experienced. The only thing you can do is tweak the indexing as previously mentioned.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just to echo the posts above. When I put my bike (2009 Campagnolo 10sp) on the turbo (Elite TurboMuin), the RD barrel adjuster needs a quarter turn clockwise.

Not so uncommon.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thanks for the feedback which confirms that I indeed need to do some adjustment and cannot expect this to be perfect out of the box.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    Had same issue with a r8000 group with r7000 cassette. Changing up was giving bother, I can't mind if it was clockwise or anti clockwise I had to turn indexing. One way adjusts down shifting the other does up. Oddly had no affect on my bike setup for outside though.