Cyclists do not care about corona virus

There are still some cyclist who are doing group rides despite the government advising social distancing and urging people to stay home.

Why do cyclist think it is a good idea to ride for hours behind eachother?

Many people are loosing their jobs trying to combat this virus and then you got a bunch of cyclists who keep spreading the virus because they cannot ride solo.

I am a cyclists myself, but I wouldn’t mind that these cyclists are fined for these this BS they are doing.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Some people are idiots.
    Some idiots ride bicycles.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    This isn't happening in any significant numbers. Go back under your bridge.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    Only groups I've seen in last 2 weeks have been families. Everyone else is solo or with their partner.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    I only seen a couple of pairs, other than what would appear to be partners, both times they were riding distanced. And family groups, which are ok under 'the rules'.

All local club rides are stopped.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    People are loosing their jobs ? Their lives mate...

I don't believe what you're saying anyway. And how would you know. Are you following cyclists around for hours ?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    fenix said:

People are losing their jobs ? Their lives mate...

I don't believe what you're saying anyway. And how would you know. Are you following cyclists around for hours ?

To add to PB's bit about idiots is that some idiots believe what they see in the press.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Doesn't appear to be the case around here (obviously can't tell most of the time). Solo, family or obviously partners is my experience.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    I go solo. (I always do anyway).
  • This is happening and happening on an increasingly regular basis.

I saw a 6 man chaingang on Sunday and I lost count today of the number of 2 or 4 man groups I saw on my 40 mile ride. I've been riding long enough to know the difference between a family group and mates out for a ride together.

They all seem to be around 30-35 age bracket. Untouchables with an over inflated sense of their entitlement and self importance.

Riding down country roads to hide doesn't excuse their selfish behaviour.

I really hope it pees down at the weekend, or all outdoor activity will be banned after the continuing selfishness of mindless mil......als.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Absolute fkwits. I'd think riding someones wheel would be almost perfect conditions for catching it.

The Government need to be showing the real implications of this disease. Having a ventilator tube shoved down your throat is not something I want for any of my friends or family.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Haven't seen people cycling in groups any bigger than '1' in my local area (apart from a dad and his kid, who looked about 10 or thereabouts). Wherever these fckwits are that are 'still riding in groups', they aren't round here..
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    There were a couple of photos of a large group in the Daily Mail allegedly taken in Regents Park on Friday morning.

They were genuine because I saw them.

Apart from them I haven’t seen any others.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited April 2020

Haven't seen people cycling in groups any bigger than '1' in my local area (apart from a dad and his kid, who looked about 10 or thereabouts). Wherever these fckwits are that are 'still riding in groups', they aren't round here..

I've not seen these groups around either and I've done a fair bit of solo cycling. Just obvious couples or families together.

However, you'd think that cyclists would avoid the obvious places like Regents Park and Box Hill if they were concerned about social distancing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Maybe the group seen in Regents Park were hired by the Daily Heil to make the story?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    That's exactly what we need... yet another thread on cyclists presumed to not follow the Government guidelines... Now take your side... PRO or CON and vomit out your fake news....

Mods, please lock this thread
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ah yes. Fake news.
    Anything you dont agree with is automatically fake news.
    It could well be very true but one pinko calls it fake so everyone has to believe it.

Mods please lock US.
  • I’ve not seen any groups of cyclists out. Are you sure it’s not in Watopia? Can you catch the virus in the virtual world?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I was out this morning in SE Lancashire. No groups to be seen.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Did see a group of 4 at the weekend go past the end of our road. Too far away to establish if it was family or not. Just back from a local circuit. Saw several solo cyclists and a couple of dad/child combos but no groups. I live in a fairly rural location so it's not difficult to find space and routes for riding.

I think a major issue is for those cyclists who live in urban areas where it may be difficult to find quite roads close to home so they all descend on the whatever green spaces are available.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I went out for a solo ride on Sunday afternoon, and only saw solo riders, apart from one chap out with his young son.
    My gf went out early morning, and said she saw a few pairs of men riding together, not to say they were not from the same household of course.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I saw a few couples and families with kids on Sunday.

I cannot verify, however, that the couples were living in the same household or whether the children were related to adults or not. Also, viewed head on, they looked awfully close to some other people that were much further away.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    thread title needs changing to refer to idiots, not cyclists

there were certainly bunches of idiots going around regent's park on saturday

i headed that way returning in the hope of a few laps, but saw the situation and headed elsewhere

but it's not cyclists, it's idiots

there are bunches of idiots jogging, walking, having nice chats, and driving far from their homes (with gardens) because they feel they are exempt

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I thought this was road buying advice?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    There was a brilliant article about Matlock Bath being swamped with people not keeping their distance the other day.

Was probably 1,000 people not behaving and the eye witness chose to say he even saw cyclists sat round a coffee table. That made the article. He didn't say 996 motorists were sat round coffee tables or 12 Volvo drivers or 8 French people...…

Why do people hate cyclists so much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-52002964
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited April 2020
    "Saul Clay, a 38-year-old who passed through Hathersage to visit private land, said that Peak District town was also "busier than normal"....
    It's frustrating to see when we're going out of our way to avoid people."

Necessary? Hypocrite.
    That out of the way. Some people are muppets. You don't socially distance by going to popular places.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I've been out solo twice this week. Seen lots of people with young children cycling together, but also seen numerous pairs of men (similar ages, so not father and son from the same household) and on two occasions, three men cycling together, 30-40yrs old, club rider appearance. I was tempted to shout some abuse at them, but then thought they might all live together (yea, right).

But, if you didn't see it yourself, it obviously didn't happen.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

There were a couple of photos of a large group in the Daily Mail allegedly taken in Regents Park on Friday morning.

They were genuine because I saw them.

Apart from them I haven’t seen any others.

You know about the Daily Heil, don't you? You know about "foreshortening" don't you?
    The bigger problem is people who have to drive somewhere, either to exercise or walk their dog. Car parks near me are roped off, so the dopes park on the road. I cycled to work along the Downs one day last week, there were 5 cars up at the top of the lane, at 8 in the morning! Including a pick up, mountain bike, and some fella putting his kit on. Why not just ride there!?
This discussion has been closed.