LBS Headset Replacement - Not Sure Done Right

4xsama
4xsama Posts: 26
Hi All,

I took my bike to the LBS last week to get the head set replaced. Problem is the gap between the top of the fork and steerer tube is different to the gap when it was sent in for the work. I called the LBS who agreed the gap is different. We're only talking about 1mm or so in change from what the Canyon factory delivered it as. I want to note the LBS has been really good about this too and I understand their position. They could force the bearing in and damage it or take the safe route. The mechanic is pretty good by all accounts too

LBS suggested it will be fine to leave as is but if I'm concerned they will take another look at it. My concern is that, if over time the bearings settle into their correct position the bearing/fork will flog about causing damage and also the grease around the bearings will get water in them and dilute out.

I should be able to keep an eye on the gap and get the headset adjusted IF there wont be any damage in the meantime.

Am I being overly cautious? Also, if something is going to go wrong, how wrong can it go?

Comments

• Do you mean a gap between the crown of the fork and the bottom of the headtube? A photograph would help. What frame is it and what exactly has been replaced? Do you have the old parts that have been removed and you can compare against?

Either way there shouldn't be any real need to force a headset bearing in/on. If the correct replacement bearings have been used I see no reason why it should not be exactly as it was.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    There could be a bigger gap now if they used a different brand of headset which is slightly different to the original one.
    I would go for a couple of rides in the nice weather and if you notice any knocking or play in the headset get it tightened. 50 miles won't cause any damage if it's slightly loose, but it can over a long period of time.
  • 4xsama
    4xsama Posts: 26

There could be a bigger gap now if they used a different brand of headset which is slightly different to the original one.
    I would go for a couple of rides in the nice weather and if you notice any knocking or play in the headset get it tightened. 50 miles won't cause any damage if it's slightly loose, but it can over a long period of time.

Same bearing from Canyon as original supply. Went for a ride yesterday but was dark when I got back but definitely looser after the ride which makes me think the bearing has settled in a bit. I'll check later today.