New wheels

I’m looking at replacing my old Mavic wheelset and I’m tempted with a hand built set by spokesman wheels in Devon.
Anyone recommend them after having ridden their handbuilt carbons.
I’ve had communication with Mark from spokesman and I have to say they do sound excellent.

Comments

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 230
    I've been riding a pair of his 38mm Carbonal rims on Hope hubs with mildly bladed Sapim spokes for about 18 months now on my best bike. I've been really happy with them, I guess the best indicator is that I have done precisely nothing to them and they have remained true and tight. I checked the run-out and spoke tension when I got them with a Park tension gauge and a dial indicator on my substantial wheel jig and they were well within the tolerances he specifies and have remained so.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. Buy direct and he'll knock off ebay fees which is jolly reasonable of him.

Also you'll have the warm fuzzy glow of keeping a small builder in business and getting something bespoke.

The only reason I haven't used Mark since is I decided to learn to build my own wheels.
  • casatikid
    casatikid Posts: 229
    Edward.s.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
    That’s absolutely brilliant and your recommendation is on a par with others I’ve seen.
    Once this bloody virus is over I will be popping over to see Mark.
    Cheers.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Have a set of Spokesman Carbonal wheels which are excellent. See also Malcolm Borg at The Cycle Clinic. FWIW both make wheelsets that are cheaper than factory versions but are at least the equal of most of them in performance terms and use high quality spokes rims and hubs that are readily available off the shelf. Try that with some exotic (and not so exotic) factory versions! I'm sure both will be glad of business in these challenging times.
  • casatikid
    Shortfall. Cheers and a very big thank you. 👍👍
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    casatikid said:

I’m looking at replacing my old Mavic wheelset and I’m tempted with a hand built set by spokesman wheels in Devon.
    Anyone recommend them after having ridden their handbuilt carbons.
    I’ve had communication with Mark from spokesman and I have to say they do sound excellent.

Had a hand built set of his 50mm carbon wheels that are still going strong to this day. Excellent quality. I sold them to a riding buddy when I got hold of some Shimano C40 carbon wheels a couple of years ago and he's still using them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • casatikid
    StillGoing, how did the 50s perform in the crosswinds?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got the 50mm with Bitex hubs. They've been great, and seem to have improved with age (not surprising as Mark said he packs the hubs with grease so took a bit of time to "loosen"). I sometimes think should have gone 38mm front, 50mm rear, but went with his recommendation for 2x 50mm and to be fair I think he was right. They're Ok in crosswinds...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I have a set of 50mm wheels from The Cycle Clinic no problem with cross winds and excellent wheels.
  • casatikid
    Thanks so much to you both.👍
  • casatikid
    Someone also recommended Scribe wheels. They get a brilliant review from cycling weekly. Anyone?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Cycling Weekly talk crap according to Hambini.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.