Turbo for those who hate indoors

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
I have never owned a turbo trainer and I continue to not want one... so far all has been good, but this morning Hancock is threatening to lock us indoors with no exercise... seeing how things work in the UK (threat followed by implementation a few days later) I have no doubt we will be all nicely indoors by the time Easter comes. It will make zero difference on the rate of spread, but at least it will satisfy the media's desire for more grief and bigger headlines. But that's one for another thread...

There is nothing available anywhere on the WWW and I am reluctant to spend a lot of money for what I see as a piece of junk... yet, I might have no other option, if I want to keep some sort of fitness.

I see Planet X seems to have a few (a lot?) of these Elite Volano Smart B+, which no doubt are the shxxtiest smart trainers on the market, as in PX tradition, so my question is, are they worth a punt regardless, beggars are not choosers and all of that?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    The thing is, I might end up in A&E whilst I learn to use them... also, my wife would like to use the thing too if we are locked indoors and I can't see her getting on the rollers
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited April 2020
    I'd be pretty relunctant to spend £430 on a Volano, without googling I don't even think they are two-way interactive like newer smart trainers. For all the models PX have sourced, none of them are terribly impressive by spec or price IMO.

For modest power riders, myself included, https://www.sigmasports.com/item/4iiii/Fliiiight-Smart-Turbo-Trainer-Bundle/PDXD looks an intresting bundle for £535 (turbo, 3 months Zwift and heart rate monitor), but it's unclear when you would get it. Turbo alone is £479.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wahoo/KICKR-SNAP-Smart-Turbo-Trainer/G8US isn't a bad option for £429 with 30-day free Zwift, but dispatch estimated 15th May.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2020
    ... that's the thing I'm pretty sure that all those promises of stock at Easter will come to nothing, as worldwide demand wildly outweighs supply.

Thanks for the tip on the PX one... I am always reluctant on their stuff, as it is always junk
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    edited April 2020
    That 4iiii does have its limitations, but IIRC it doesn't need a constant power source, so you could turbo in your home garden/yard/patio etc. and you could always take it with you to your audax events for a warmup and cooldown.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/12/4iiii-fliiiight-smart-trainer-in-depth-review.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ugo.santalucia
    yeah, but not available....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can't comment on the turbo but all of my PX bikes have been excellent. Some of the cheap socks wear out a bit quick but they are so cheap.

If you have a power meter on the bike it's easy to hook up to Zwift and then that can be so engrossing you might not notice your turbo isn't the best.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    The 4iiiii trainer was in stock at Rutland last week. I got in just in time with the elite Drivo’s that Halfords were selling off
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ugo.santalucia
    All out of stock now...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    There was an article in the press last week that turbos were out of stock in the uk, although local bike shops may still have small levels of stock. So try the local stores, you may get lucky.

Also, give Edinburgh Cycles a shout as their website suggests some may be available in 3-5 days (whether this is accurate is another matter but they should be able to advise you before you place an order).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    You are going to struggle I'm afraid Ugo. If it is any consolation, if they do pull the trigger and ban outdoor exercise, it may be regional (so you lot in London first) and I also cannot see a measures as strict as that that holding or being imposed for more than 2-3 weeks.
  • fenix
    Why ? It's been weeks already in Italy and Spain. I think all bets are off.
  • redvision
    I've already heard rumours that local authorities have been prepped for a further tightening on restrictions, with road blockades possible (I suspect using highways staff in combination with the police and possibly army if it comes to it).
  • ugo.santalucia
    redvision said:

I've already heard rumours that local authorities have been prepped for a further tightening on restrictions, with road blockades possible (I suspect using highways staff in combination with the police and possibly army if it comes to it).

That won't necessarily be a problem for us. I don't think there will be road checks specifically for cyclists. I think they are more concerned about people driving A to B for no particular reason, of which there are still many.
    We might live to cycle another week if the forecast for the Easter bank holiday is less than average... so for once we should all hope for rain and wind.
    Ultimately, if you really want to look at the science, as they claim, is the curve of Italy, Spain and France better than curve of say, Belgium and Netherlands and Sweden where there is still some level of personal freedom?

You can close the water tap to get a trickle or you can tighten it harder to try and stop it altogether, but I fear the latter will just break it
  • redvision
    I hope so. Even though I have lost enthusiasm to train hard due to the calendar (my scheduled racing) being cancelled getting out for a bike ride and fresh air is essential for good mental health as well as physical health.

One thing I did think of if they do blockade roads, what about those who use the bike as their primary mode of transport?!!
  • fenix
    You're allowed to cycle to work or to the shops etc.

In France you need a form with you at all times. They aren't messing around. Big fines and imprisonment if you persist. Which is quite right. Stop the virus by staying in.
  • ugo.santalucia
    redvision said:

I hope so. Even though I have lost enthusiasm to train hard due to the calendar (my scheduled racing) being cancelled getting out for a bike ride and fresh air is essential for good mental health as well as physical health.

One thing I did think of if they do blockade roads, what about those who use the bike as their primary mode of transport?!!

Looks like Sunday-Monday will be cloudy and quite cold, with a northerly wind, so that is good!
    I don't know, I haven't seen the UK Police even trying to organise any form of checks on the roads round here... I can't see them suddenly finding the resources for road blocks. If cyclists are told to stay home, they will comply with no need for checks, just as they complied with social distancing, going solo and all else.
    Those who need to cycle to work will continue to do so... they'll probably get more abuse from van drivers than being stopped by Police to be honest
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    If you have a power meter, don't discount a dumb turbo - works with something like Zwift fine. (Clearly without any of the bits that rely on automatically varying resistance.)
  • ugo.santalucia

If you have a power meter, don't discount a dumb turbo - works with something like Zwift fine. (Clearly without any of the bits that rely on automatically varying resistance.)

I'd love to get a dumb turbo, but even those are out of stock... if you see any....
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Kurt kinetic road machine is very good and pretty budget, though may be difficult to get these days. Feels very like riding on the road. To be honest if I were you and hated indoor riding I wouldn't bother with getting a mid-range turbo, they often don't feel like riding on the road and are still a lot of money. Also doesn't make sense getting a high-end turbo just for this. Go for the KK or perhaps another dumb, fluid resistance turbo or nothing.

Just my opinion.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I got very lucky. A friend lent me his dumb turbo two weeks before lockdown. It's been fantastic to be able to do daily 'rides'.

Just for the record, he has another, so I don't even have to feel guilty.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I suppose I'll have to gamble on the Government allowing us to keep cycling and if not I have to gamble that further restrictions won't last more than another 2-3 weeks, which is probably as far as one can go without going mental and requiring to see their GP, hence making the problem worse rather than better...
    That unless something becomes available on the market...

Anyway... so far so good...
  • fenix
    Yeah I've only ever had dumb turbos and they've been perfect for training on.

Would a local Facebook group be of any use here ? Probably loads at the back of the garages.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    fenix said:

Yeah I've only ever had dumb turbos and they've been perfect for training on.

Would a local Facebook group be of any use here ? Probably loads at the back of the garages.

Looking at Ebay, people are trying to retire off the proceeds of a sale of any turbo trainer!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yeah, but going into people's houses to collect stuff is deffo not something I would want to do, let alone being illegal...

And yes, prices for old junk are ridiculous
  • fenix
    D'oh. Forgot we were in a lockdown !
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,631
    fenix said:

We are already 2 weeks in, 3 by next weekend when there is likely to be a further tightening, depending on the weather forecast... in London...

Spain, France and Italy will start to (very) gradually release their lock downs in the next 2-3 weeks. We are about that far behind them. so it might feel like it has been going on for a very long time, but actually it hasn't.

I've always though that 2 months, give or take, is all they can keep the lid very tightly on for and whoever is advising the government seems to agree. Right now, people are going along with it because they are afraid. As soon as it gets as bad (restrictive) as it can be for any length of time, I guarantee that the pressure to forecast when it will improve will ramp up massively.

The questions about the "exit strategy" are already ramping up at the daily briefings.
  • ugo.santalucia

fenix said:

We are already 2 weeks in, 3 by next weekend when there is likely to be a further tightening, depending on the weather forecast... in London...

Spain, France and Italy will start to (very) gradually release their lock downs in the next 2-3 weeks. We are about that far behind them. so it might feel like it has been going on for a very long time, but actually it hasn't.

I've always though that 2 months, give or take, is all they can keep the lid very tightly on for and whoever is advising the government seems to agree. Right now, people are going along with it because they are afraid. As soon as it gets as bad (restrictive) as it can be for any length of time, I guarantee that the pressure to forecast when it will improve will ramp up massively.

The questions about the "exit strategy" are already ramping up at the daily briefings.
    I agree, if they don't tighten this weekend, than it will make little sense afterwards... the peak is imminent, it seems pointless to increase restrictions once that's past. Seemingly, they have prepared well and there are enough beds and ventilators, in which case there is no need to tighten further... the point is not to get rid of the virus, because it will come back if you do so, but to manage it as best as possible...
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    redvision said:

With regards to this as I work for a London local authority, I've had a letter for a week and a half to inform any police officers/blockades that I'm a keyworker commuting for work.

They've been contingency planning for a while.
  • fenix
    Ugo and First - have you guys had any brushes with the virus ?

I think once you lose someone to it you really get how serious this is.
    We've still got a few weeks to the peak.

I'm not rallying against any restrictions.
  • ugo.santalucia
    fenix said:

Ugo and First - have you guys had any brushes with the virus ?

I think once you lose someone to it you really get how serious this is.
    We've still got a few weeks to the peak.

I'm not rallying against any restrictions.

No, that's why I can keep a rational perspective. You lock people indoors without an hour of fresh air, you move the problem to the GP surgeries... more cases of high blood pressure, more cases of anxiety and depression that need to be dealt with. Not to speak about domestic violence... Fewer cases of Covid-19? Remains to be seen.

And bear in mind that it's almost impossible to get hold of any vitamin D supplements... we tried, we failed.
    The Government job is that of being pragmatic, not that of failing under media pressure