Bottom bracket help

Hi all,
Question on behalf of mate,

His got a boardman 13/14 mtb which has a alpha drive fsa BB, obviously its kaput as its pretty bad BB and I suggested replacing it with a shimano deore /hollowtech one as would be much better in long run, correct?

Would this mean he needs BB facing? And would he also need to change his cassette ect too.

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited April 2020
    the Alpha drive FSA cranksets are either square taper (very old and still some basic models I believe) or use a splined system with matching Bottom Bracket (called power drive)

if you want to change the BB for shimano hollowtech you will also need to replace the crankset .

it is very unlikely you will need to face the BB but ensure that the threads in the bike are clean before installing the new BB, I recommend using copperslip or similar on the threads.

would he need to change the cassette? well that depends if its worn out or not, since the chain and the cassette will remain untouched there should be no reason to unless they needed doing anyway
  • Thanks for help, I wasn't sure if fsa BB would mean that the frame wouldn't be compatible with a hollowtech one if replaced.

I've got a spare bb he can have so he'll just need a new chainset then.
    Cheers