Lake shoes

Morning all,

I'm after a new pair of road cycling shoes and due to my feet measurements, I've been recommended a pair or Lake CX238 shoes.

Does anyone have any experience of these shoes, or Lake shoes in general?

Rather big outlay in terms of cost, so want to make sure, or as sure as possible before i pull the trigger on them. The boss lady is already giving me grief over the cost, so don't want to make a mistake which she will hold over me for eternity.

Cheers

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2020
    Lake are a very well know brand and as everybody is different the only sure fire way is to try them on and decide for yourself. I have had shoes from several well know brands ranging in size from 39 to 41 so you see where I am coming from.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I have the CX237s, the pre-cursor to the 238s.

Some places still stock them for a cheaper price if you can get hold of the 237s. The sole, last and fit is apparently identical.

It's funny, I have some old MX237s (again, same last and fit) that I bought second hand and have been great, very roomy and comfortable, even during dirty reiver for 10+hrs. So when I needed some new road shoes I bought the CX237s. They have felt much tighter and make my feet go numb on longer rides. My previous shoes, Bontrager XXX's, are narrower so I don't think it's a width issue. It's almost like a 'height' issue at the front of the shoes. I have been told by lake that unlike most cycling shoes they use natural leather which does mean they will stretch a bit. Hopefully, they will as at the moment I prefer my Bontrager's but the MX237s have been great, so mixed review really.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's no particular reason why such expensive shoes would fit any better than cheaper ones, so I question why someone has recommended those, unless they have a vested interest in selling you a pair.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

There's no particular reason why such expensive shoes would fit any better than cheaper ones, so I question why someone has recommended those, unless they have a vested interest in selling you a pair.

Maybe the person who recommended them knew they were the correct shape for the OP's feet? Of course they may be other suitably shaped shoes out there if the OP wants to investigate. If you need wide fitting bike shoes there aren't very many options.
  • skwarczek
    skwarczek Posts: 75
    wongataa said:

Maybe the person who recommended them knew they were the correct shape for the OP's feet? Of course they may be other suitably shaped shoes out there if the OP wants to investigate. If you need wide fitting bike shoes there aren't very many options.
    Yep, i sent photos and scans of my feet to the fitter, along with measurements etc.

I know i need a wide fit, but I'm really torn with either trying a "cheaper" pair and hoping they work, or going all in on these and also hoping they work.

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    What you need to do is order several shoes that you think may be suitable, try them on, and immediately return the ones which are no good.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    skwarczek said:

wongataa said:

Yep, i sent photos and scans of my feet to the fitter, along with measurements etc.

I know i need a wide fit, but I'm really torn with either trying a "cheaper" pair and hoping they work, or going all in on these and also hoping they work.

Depends how wide your feet are, I guess. I'm a Clarks 'G' fitting (ie wide) and I've had no issue with the fit of loads of different shoes, including Specialized, Shimano, Spiuk and currently Bont.

• skwarczek

skwarczek said:

wongataa said:

Depends how wide your feet are, I guess. I'm a Clarks 'G' fitting (ie wide) and I've had no issue with the fit of loads of different shoes, including Specialized, Shimano, Spiuk and currently Bont.

Width is 11cm, which puts me in the wide category for most shoes. Will have a look around the net for other shoes that could offer the same width/fit as the Lake.

Cheers

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I guess you've been watching Francis Cade & bikefitjames on YouTube?
  • skwarczek
    ibr17xvii said:

haha, i have indeed. Watched a fair few of his videos on bike fitting and they all seem to follow the bike fits i've had previous, so know that he knows his stuff.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    skwarczek said:

ibr17xvii said:

haha, i have indeed. Watched a fair few of his videos on bike fitting and they all seem to follow the bike fits i've had previous, so know that he knows his stuff.
    The guy undoubtedly knows his stuff, far far more than I will ever know but I would say it's pretty difficult to tell what shoes would be best from pictures of your feet even for him.

You can't beat getting down to a shop or ordering online & trying them on.