Is everyone else obsessed?

fiverears
fiverears Posts: 38
edited March 2020 in Road general
I am bike obsessed, jerseys, wheels, lube, multitools, saddles, groupsets, next dry day. ext......
its all I think about.
if there's a cure for this I dont want it.

I am 5st overweight (17st @ 5'11 and 41yo)
I just taken cycling back up, and in the last 2 weeks I have dropped 7lb.
have bought a load of jersey's that are too small, one day they will fit me. currently I look like a fuking penguin.
Will be getting a chris froome physique in no time.

Comments

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    well done on starting and well done on losing weight. Long may it continue.

Yes i suppose i am as well, it's a lifestyle choice rather than a hobby. Spare money, holidays, weekends, cycle commutes, it all revolves around cycling
    FCN = 4
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited March 2020
    fiverears said:

I am bike obsessed, jerseys, wheels, lube, multitools, saddles, groupsets, next dry day. ext......
    its all I think about.

You can ride in the wet, too... ;)
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    mtb-idle said:

...it's a lifestyle choice rather than a hobby

Well done fiverears, it's not going to happen overnight, best of luck, keep it going...

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    edited March 2020
    Best thing you'll ever do for your health and well-being. Try not to get too OTT but as a lifestyle choice cycling is bloody brilliant. Wish you all the best.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I think most of the regulars here would be considered obsessed by anyone who just rides their bike to the shops or goes out for a ride with the kids. I came here about eight years ago looking for advice on the London to Brighton ride, and found myself coming back for more. I chose my current job partly because I can cycle to it in an hour.

I'm glad you've got the bug, and the motivation to lose weight. Keep it up. If you want bike gear that fits you now, then google "Fat Lad At The Back".

• I was a decent level tester back in the last century. Got injured and that finished me. Sold up.

3 years ago I had a new knee. I'd become a couch potato through lack of exercise. Bought a cheapo fixie bike just to get some exercise.

Got the bug again. Now I have two top end carbon bikes and ride 50/60/70 miles 5 times a week. 100 mile rides every couple of months.

In the first 6 months of riding I lost 3 stone in weight and 4 inches off my waist.

It can be done....as long as OP really wants to do it. A supportive wife helps a lot.