Mavic helmet sizing/shape

Has anyone tried on / got a Mavic road helmet and can comment on how they fit. Better for longer or round heads? I think I've got a longer rather than rounder head and fit Specialized quite well. Better to size up or down with them?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I like them and find the fit good. I'd say I'm more round-headed, based on preference for Arai and Shoei motorbike lids vs AGV and Shark, that seem more 'pointy' (longer and narrower). Push-bike lids seem to have more scope for variation and/or adjustment so may be less critical.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Well that’s interesting because it used to said you were either an Arai or Shoei head shape, perceived to be the two top brands. Indeed I have always used Arai lids from when they became the helmet to have? Before that original Bell helmets.
    With regards to the op question I tried on a Mavic as I really wanted to like it, it was ok but nowhere near as comfortable as Kask which I had before and so ended up with again (Protone).
    I have what I believe you describe as a round head type.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Thanks for your input. yellowv2 - why not comfortable?

Interestingly Mavic have helpfully replied and it seems to back up your thoughts me-109:

"I had a chat with some colleagues today regarding the helmets and the fit of different head shapes and the overall consensus was that for round heads the fit is a little better, but as head shapes are not just round or oval then it may just be a question of trying it on for size/fit"

Not sure it's worth me paying £5 postage each way or to waste a shops time if it's probably not going to work.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    It wasn't so much uncomfortable as just not as comfortable as the Kask. I had a Kask Mojito which got damaged in a crash! So was looking for a new helmet and the Mavic was an attractive option in a sale at Sigma sports, it was their top range helmet I believe, the Cosmic Pro.
    However up against the Kask Protone for my head it just didn't sit as comfortably.
    With regards adjustment, whilst there is a fair bit it's mostly for sizing. If the helmet shape isn't right it doesn't alter that so much. Possibly the materials/padding also has an effect.
    It would have been fine I expect if I had tried it alone but that's why it's best to try them on if possible, I guess.
    I was fortunate in that I was able to visit a shop selling both.