Which Steel Rigid Mountain Bike?

I've got my head around the 1x11 gears now, think it will be a 34 chain ring with a 11-42 cassette.

Now I'm looking for advice on which frame/forks: )

I've not had a mountain bike for years, initially I had a Raleigh Peak quickly followed by the amazing (well I loved it) 1994 Saracen Kili Comp and then a Merlin (Sadoff designed) 853 with Rock Shock and really didn't rate that one.

In 2014 I started cycling again but this time on a road bike Genesis Equilibrium 853 and love it, though I do miss doing a bit off road.

So I need to scratch my itch, which has been coming for a long time now.

I'm looking for a good quality (at as reasonable price as possible) steel framed mountain bike, with rigid forks. I am not particularly worried about wheel size more about the the ride quality. Looking for the classic lively, springy ride whilst avoiding the brittleness of aluminium (nor do I want carbon).

I love the classic skinny look of steel and prefer the ride quality (well my back does) to aluminium.

I could go retro and have put an ad for an old Saracen Kili Comp (on another site) but at heart I'm not really wanting retro (don't want to be searching for old parts), though if there are more recent designs which fill the bill I'd be willing to look at second hand.

Any advice and experiences welcomed in relation to a rigid, good quality steel framed mountain bike, with a lively springy ride.

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• s1mples
    s1mples Posts: 63
    Is there any love for Charge Dusters out there? The Tange Prestige 26" interests me.

I can't work out if there is Charge Duster and a Charge Duster Skinny or if they are one and the same?

Cheers

Simon
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If you like the Eq 853, why not look at the Genesis Longtitude 27.5".

I must admit my switch from a steel frame/fork to an alu frame/carbon fork for gravel has been disappointing, and I totally agree about loving the skinny tubes you get with steel.
  • s1mples
    I've looked but need to try one as MjÖlnir Seamless Double-Butted Cromoly even more of an unknown quantity for me. Is it in effect 4130?
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Do check out the On One Bootzipper by Planet X bikes. I've just ordered the 29er version but they also have 650b with lots of options. The 29er is a bargain at £599 right now.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • s1mples
    Cheers Ray I'll take a look.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    s1mples said:

I've looked but need to try one as MjÖlnir Seamless Double-Butted Cromoly even more of an unknown quantity for me. Is it in effect 4130?

Yeah, it's just a fancy name for the generic 4130; MjOlnir is also generic made in Taiwan under the Genesis name.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    froze said:

s1mples said:

Yeah, it's just a fancy name for the generic 4130; MjOlnir is also generic made in Taiwan under the Genesis name; and you know, everything is better if it has a French pronunciation to it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Have you looked at Cotic? Really like my Solaris.
  • s1mples
    I've recently come across the Soul but hadn't heard of the Solaris. Both look good bikes: )
  • raymondo60
    So I've just been out for my first ride on the aforementioned On One Bootzipper 29er. 35 miles of road, park trails and towpath. And it was bloody brilliant. Really springy steel frame, Sram Eagle 12 speed and hydraulic brakes. Wheels are lovely too. I had an absolute blast. I did spin out on the 32-11 lowest gear but that's a small price to pay. And the quality of the finish on the frame is outstanding. Certainly looks much more expensive than the £599 (plus delivery) that I paid.
    Raymondo

• s1mples
    Thanks for the update, sounds interesting.
  • raymondo60
    There's an excellent video review on the Planet X website s1mples. Well worth a view.
    Raymondo