wednesday every island fled away and the mountains were not found

2»

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    sungod said:

i noticed that isopropyl alcohol is starting to be in short supply, i already had quite a bit, but was researching for others i was putting this together for...

if you are finding it hard to get hand sanitising liquid, or would like some to give to the vulnerable, the world health org recipe to make around a litre of your own is...

750 isopropyl alcohol - amazon, ebay, engineering/lab supplies etc.
    40 hydrogen peroxide 3% solution - supermarket/pharmacy, it's used as a mouthwash
    15 glycerol or glycerin - supermarket/pharmacy
    190 water (boil it and allow to cool before adding)

...these are pre-mix volumes in ml, do not start with a one litre measuring flask and finish by topping up with water as the way the molecules fit together means you'll have added too much water

the hydrogen peroxide and glycerol are not essential to its performance, you can just do a 750ml ips + 250ml water mix

ipa is flammable, no flames/sparks

Everyone round sungod's for a handwashing party. Once we finish the isopropyl, we can move on to the traditional bubbly and tawny port. Slurp.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

hopkinb said:

I went to the Waitrose in Raynes Park to get stuff for the old dear last night H³, they had no Maris Pipers. Managed to get most of what she wanted though.

I was one of the first through the door, so the shelves were fully stocked - people were mainly going for tinned tomatos this morning, so maybe folk have decided they don't much like unadorned pasta.
    Hmm, similar story in Tesco.
    It's like there's some trash Twitter account telling everyone what to buy and the lambs are just following....Hopefully to the slaughterhouse.

hopkinb said:

I went to the Waitrose in Raynes Park to get stuff for the old dear last night H³, they had no Maris Pipers. Managed to get most of what she wanted though.

I was one of the first through the door, so the shelves were fully stocked - people were mainly going for tinned tomatos this morning, so maybe folk have decided they don't much like unadorned pasta.
    Hmm, similar story in Tesco.
    It's like there's some trash Twitter account telling everyone what to buy and the lambs are just following....Hopefully to the slaughterhouse.
    so I just popped to the nearest local minimarket, think Tesco express/Sainsbury local size, and bear in mind its 1 of at least 5 of the same size shops in walkable distance round here and doesnt even have parking,and has had a limit on 3 per item since the weekend,

their meat chiller cabinets were basically empty, just random lone packets of stuff left, no fresh food of any kind, the veg/fruit and bread all completely gone, and most of the packaged food sauce stuff, all gone.

either they missed a delivery today or people round here are going certifiably nuts. plenty of alcohol though so there was an upside, but my fave local pub is doing take outs, so I grabbed some from there instead whilst I still can.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    sungod said:

i noticed that isopropyl alcohol is starting to be in short supply, i already had quite a bit, but was researching for others i was putting this together for...

if you are finding it hard to get hand sanitising liquid, or would like some to give to the vulnerable, the world health org recipe to make around a litre of your own is...

750 isopropyl alcohol - amazon, ebay, engineering/lab supplies etc.
    40 hydrogen peroxide 3% solution - supermarket/pharmacy, it's used as a mouthwash
    15 glycerol or glycerin - supermarket/pharmacy
    190 water (boil it and allow to cool before adding)

...these are pre-mix volumes in ml, do not start with a one litre measuring flask and finish by topping up with water as the way the molecules fit together means you'll have added too much water

the hydrogen peroxide and glycerol are not essential to its performance, you can just do a 750ml ips + 250ml water mix

ipa is flammable, no flames/sparks

How about just plain and simple soap and water?

Schools shut indefinitely on Friday. My wfh will be teacher Pinno. God help them.

@oxoman: the problem with those frikkin spell checkers are, that they are 'Merican. But even well known Proper Nouns of significant 'Merican events, people and places get a red underline, so I have to go Google it and 'add to dictionary'.
    I hate getting a new laptop.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    oxoman said:

My local sainsbury,s had plenty of electrical stuff, clothes etc but nothing to eat and mainly non alco beer. Freezers, biscuits, basically every aisle stripped bare. looked like a closing down sale. Rumour has it pubs are next with compulsory closure next week.

those that are left open at least :( I know a bunch have closed already, with staff losing their jobs, the rest for all the positiveness they are maintaining seem to be selling off their existing stock as quickly as they can and maybe just hoping they can survive by keeping some turnover via take outs, some are even doing pub meals as takeout now, but obviously its much lower volume and Id surprised if its maintainable for very long.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Pubs still open around here, but local butcher was only allowed two pigs today :(
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Hey peeps, be positive and look on this year as a training exercise for post-Brexit Britain.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    tlw1 said:

Pubs still open around here, but local butcher was only allowed two pigs today :(

If the bacon runs out then society will surely break down...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

If the bacon runs out then society will surely break down...
    We are ok for ale and bacon until September - toilet roll runs out next week :)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

The missus through two a day