Coronavirus and consumer goods pricing

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2020 in Road buying advice
A colleague mentioned something to me today which I hadn't given much thought to previously - given the likely restrictions coming as a result of the virus, as businesses fight to survive the subsequent inevitable economic downturn, will we see mass sale events on consumer goods etc?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah the Spanish Flu of 1918 killed millions but there were bargains to be had on gramophones.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I'm not sure. You'd think the supermarkets are on the ball and realise it's a blip (once people have filled their houses with bog roll sales will drop/go back to normal).
    Clothes and high street shops have had sales on for ages so I don't think they can go much lower so I expect a few will just go out of business.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Flow of stock is likely to be affected - Record Store Day has been postponed from April to June - announced before shops had ordered stock, so that no finacial commitments were made.

Importing, or even making bikes and parts may well slow down. Lots of factories in the UK are being asked to switch production to medical equipment and supplies - we could see the same on the continent.

If you like closing-down sales at your LBS, you may get lucky, but I won't be celebrating.
  • redvision
    fenix said:

Yeah the Spanish Flu of 1918 killed millions but there were bargains to be had on gramophones.

I'm not saying it's right, but it is likely to be a reality - unless some type of complete price freeze is introduced.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Some prices will do down, some will increase exponentially.
    I passed a TH Lewin this morning that now has a 50% sale on that wasn’t last week.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    pblakeney said:

I passed a TH Lewin this morning that now has a 50% sale on that wasn’t last week.

It's not nice to see. The economy wasn't exactly in a great position before this and it seems inevitable business are going to fall and jobs will be lost. I guess the press aren't really reporting on this topic yet, perhaps stopped by the government??, in an attempt to avoid further panic.

This is where a universal credit system would excel.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fenix said:

Wiggle made a fortune selling discounted velocipedes though...

• pblakeney
    redvision said:

pblakeney said:

It's not nice to see. The economy wasn't exactly in a great position before this and it seems inevitable business are going to fall and jobs will be lost. I guess the press aren't really reporting on this topic yet, perhaps stopped by the government??, in an attempt to avoid further panic.

This is where a universal credit system would excel.
    Yeah, quite frankly I am more concerned by maintaining employment than grabbing a cheeky deal.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    Spring/summer '20 fashion anyone?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    pblakeney said:

Yeah, quite frankly I am more concerned by maintaining employment than grabbing a cheeky deal.

Yes I've put any plans to buy a new bike on the back burner but I suppose as we all do the same and retailers are stuck with unsold stock/go bust there will be some big reductions.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    pblakeney said:

Who's wearing shirts now ?
    I'm WFH in a onesy.

By the time we go back we won't remember how to use ties.
  • pblakeney
    Well, me for one today. Ties went bye bye years ago though.
    That said, they are running test to see if the company network can cope with people logging on remotely in the event of a shutdown.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    I've already got a new friend called Wilson.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    edited March 2020
    I've found that it's impossible to smash out Zwift intervals while on a conference call.