Any clubs stopping their group rides given the situation?

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
Interested in whether any clubs have started cancelling their club rides given the current Corona situation... self isolation etc. Lots of riders riding closely together, heavy breathing, nose clearing.

I haven't seen anything yet from my club but it doesn't affect me as I stopped doing clubs runs a while back but just interested.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Nothing mentioned in Lincoln at the moment
  • dabber
    edited March 2020
    I've just heard the subject is on the agenda for our clubs committee meeting tonight.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • rock_bus
    rock_bus Posts: 35
    My Local club, warwick lantern rouge just announced club rides stopped for foreseeable future. 😢
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have just noticed this from the velo club, it came last night

After much deliberation, due to this pesky COVID-19 outbreak, it has been decided to cancel the remaining indoor Wednesday night sessions for the rest of the month. We have taken this preventative measure based on the latest government advise from this evening.
    We will still look to start outdoor at the beginning of April unless circumstances out of our control prevents that from happening.
    In the interim, should anyone wish to borrow a turbo or rollers to aid them to keep training at home please let us know and we can make some arrangements and also provide you with some training guides like what we’ve covered over the last few sessions.
    Any questions please comment or message otherwise look after yourselves and keep an eye out for more updates.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Our club has just stopped official club rides. However if members as friends want to arrange their own rides then that is another matter and thought has to be given regarding the risk associated. I’m just glad I hadn’t signed up to any sportives this year.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dabber
    My club, Farnborough & Camberley, have cancelled all cycling and social activity until the end of May and will review the situation in April.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    One of the local clubs has postponed all their go ride sessions until later in the year.
    Club rides still seem to be going ahead at the moment, but some only get 4 or 5 on a ride anyway.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    UCY in South Wales announced curtailment of club runs.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If the cafes close - there won't be as much incentive to get out anyway !

Although hopefully the roads will be quieter.
  • Do a drum up rather than a cafe stop and all will be good. Remember to bring your own cup though sharing is not good anymore.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,598
    Our club has cancelled all social rides. Yet to see how 'unofficial' rides will pan out.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    England Athletics has cancelled all club activities. I don't see why cycling should be any different.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,922
    BC is asking all clubs to seriously consider whether club rides should take place. All BC competitive riding, Go Rides, courses etc have been cancelled / postponed.
    We're currently having the debate amongst our committee ahead of the weekend, but suspect the decision might have been taken out of our hands by then.

All rugby at all levels including training is cancelled in the UK, and I believe it is the same for hockey.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Cycling UK have told their member clubs to cease group rides with immediate effect, but then aren't their members all over 70 anyway?!! B)
  • thistle_
    Our local CTT district have cancelled all events until April.
    The national organisation have issued some guidance (https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/535) which is probably why they've just decided to cancel instead.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

BC is asking all clubs to seriously consider whether club rides should take place. All BC competitive riding, Go Rides, courses etc have been cancelled / postponed.
    We're currently having the debate amongst our committee ahead of the weekend, but suspect the decision might have been taken out of our hands by then.

according to the club nearest where I live, BCs advice is translated as canning all club rides,activites,events,functions till April 30th at least

whilst individual club riders may choose to ride, they are encouraged not to do so in groups bigger than 4
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    edited March 2020
    My club cancelled organised runs last night.

West Midlands based.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    edited March 2020
    New Forest has cancelled all racing, club rides and group turbo training till end of April
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    Our local chaingang and usual training rides are still happening - perhaps because they aren't organised by any club so there is nobody in control to say yea or nay.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    edited March 2020
    "Official" clubs will have insurance and legal responsibility reasons for cancelling.
    What you do personally is up to you.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thistle_
    National CTT have now said all events cancelled until end of May.
    Our club has cancelled all time trials (club and open) until the end of the year :#
  • Dorset_Boy
    We've agreed to suspend all club activities for the foreseeable.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Ronde in Edinburgh has cancelled all but virtual activities until the 30th of April. CTT have cancelled through the end of May I believe - Loch Ken Open on the 9th of May is being refunded.

Our LBS where we gather is now by appointment only for builds and repairs. They've set up a perimeter line that the public can't pass just inside the door. They've added the option to pre-purchase a service etc too via their website which is nothing but a good thing.

We've set up a virtual club ride which is quite easy to do on Zwift - and members with spare turbos and rollers are sharing them when we still can.

All of this is very troubling but it's great to see people taking responsible actions and coming together as a community.
  • We need all Strava segment records reset to show solo efforts dammit! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768

Ronde in Edinburgh has cancelled all but virtual activities until the 30th of April. CTT have cancelled through the end of May I believe - Loch Ken Open on the 9th of May is being refunded.

Our LBS where we gather is now by appointment only for builds and repairs. They've set up a perimeter line that the public can't pass just inside the door. They've added the option to pre-purchase a service etc too via their website which is nothing but a good thing.

We've set up a virtual club ride which is quite easy to do on Zwift - and members with spare turbos and rollers are sharing them when we still can.

All of this is very troubling but it's great to see people taking responsible actions and coming together as a community.

I thought Ronde was shut. Different group?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    edited March 2020
    pblakeney said:

I thought Ronde was shut. Different group?

Same club - but we've been using Gamma TD in Stockbridge as a base since the shop went down 15 months or so back. Brilliant LBS, they've been fantastic since day one. I really do think we should change the club name but I guess there's a lot of black, orange and blue kit out there making that a tough decision to make.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Kenilworth Wheelers have cancelled all group rides... on the other hand, yesterday I have seen a Coventry CC granpa ride... probably the last time many of them are allowed outdoors
    SO, still patchy at the moment
    left the forum March 2023