Wheel truing stand - recommendations please

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited March 2020 in Road buying advice
I’ve have a pair Kinesis Crosslight wheels that need rebuilding. Spokes keep braking and all of the aluminium nipples have seized solid.

So, armed with my cop of Jobst Brandt’s l’The Bicycle Wheel’ I thought I’d have a go at rebuilding them myself.

What would the experienced recommend for a truing stand? I won’t be building many, if it was more than half a dozen a year I’d be surprised. Whilst the P&K Lie is definitely overkill, there are plenty of others that are more affordable - Tacx, Minoura, Park Tool, amongst others.

I’m not looking for the cheapest, just something decent. Minoura looks ok, but a used eBay Park Tool TS-2.2 Is not huge amount more (£150-£170).

Thoughts please.

And then I’ll be asking about a tensioning gauge! 🤔

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Lifeline X-Tools stand. ParkTool gauge.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s159p3634/BIKE-HAND-Wheel-Truing-Stand-YC-512NB

Its a clone of the Park Tool. I've built 4 or 5 pairs of wheels with mine. Heavy and solid, no blue paint tax :)

Tension meter best stick with Park.

I found a cheap dial indicator and mag base from Amazon was useful for measuring the actual run-out, quite re-assuring as 0.1mm can look a lot using the normal prongs.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Impatience got the better of me. PT TS-2.2, plus extra swivel base, dishing tool, nipple driver and thru axle adaptor - £210