New wheels worth it?

I have a Trek Sl5 disc and it currently runs the stock Affinity disc wheelset, I cannot find any info about them and even Trek support cannot elude to the specs. Based on my less than perfect kitchen scales they come in at 1920g.

Anyway Merlin cycles currently has a deal on a set of Fulcrum racing 400db wheels for £249 but as a loyalty customer and with unused vouchers I can get them for £198. They have a stock weight of 1670g and rim depth of 35mm so a good bit deeper than the stock wheels.

Questions:

Anyone with these wheels? Are they a worthwhile upgrade over stock bontrager wheels?

They state they are 12mm thru axle same as my current wheels (12x100 & 12x142) so will they just pop in or will I need extra stuff to make them fit?

Seriously tempted, I could put my Affinity wheels up for sale and get maybe £100 back making the new rims potentially less than a hundred quid or just keep for spare

Anyone have any experience of Fulcrum 400db (formerly known as quattro racing 400db)

Comments

• I have Racing 4DB with Conti 5000 rubber. Not sure how the 4 differs from the 400 or if they are the same.
    Also have some racing 600s as winter wheels.
    The Racing 4DB wheels are really wonderful especially with the Conti rubber.
    Not too expensive but are strong, fast and reasonable weight.
    I am more than happy.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Ok sounds good very tempted by them!
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    I looked at these a while ago and found that the 4 and the 400 are the same wheel.

Only slight negative is that they not very wide. New rims are generally wider than these - but if that doesn't bother you they look great for the price.