Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

Ride london 2020 stay in london or travel down.

tubbs_214tubbs_214 Posts: 185
So as above. I'm coming down from manchester and I dont know what to do if I should pay a stupid amount for a hotel and stay over for the weekend or do the 4 hour drive and park then drive back.

Any advice on where to park or a hotel to stay in that would let me keep my bike in the room I've only got a small car so the bike wouldn't fit in that plus I wouldn't feel safe leaving it over night in the car.

Any help appreciated

Mark

• joe_totale-2joe_totale-2 Posts: 943
    Have you factored in collecting your registration stuff from the Excel centre the day before?

I'd find a Premier Inn, they're all fairly cheap, comfy and happy for you to keep your bike in the room.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,263
    That's a bloody long day if you don't stay. Plus you need to collect your number from the expo before the day.

Although who knows if they'll even have an expo this year ?

If you stay near the start then you'll need to ride back after.

Alternatively stay in the centre and ride to the start.

Good luck finding a hotel now.
  • carbonclemcarbonclem Posts: 871
    Best hotel (for this event) I had was the Premier Inn at the Excel. Not expensive (relatively), a short walk to the Exel for registration, amongst all the pro teams staying in hotels there and a short ride to the start, plus you can drive to it and avoid all the road closures that are in place on Saturday - worth considering. Bike in the room is no problem.
    As previous, its a bit late now but see what you can find. No chance I'd do the whole thing in one day.
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 935
    edited 10 March
    I have stayed at the Queen Mary University (Google 'stay qmu') three times. It's been £40 per night for a student room but you can put your bike in it no problem. Only a mile or three to the start lines too.

It worked out well.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • kingstongrahamkingstongraham Posts: 9,554
    Regardless of the ridiculous need to collect your pack the day before, if your start time is 7am, a 4 hour drive starting at about 2am would probably make the whole weekend thoroughly unpleasant, which kind of defeats the point.
    and then the next thing you know
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,476
    We're not far from Manchester, Littleborough. Four of us in a team.

We're booking a hotel or apartment for two nights, driving down Saturday and collecting our packs from Excel, do the ride on Sunday and going out on Sunday night.

Using my pick up we'll easily get four bikes plus gear in the boot.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bigmitch41bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    We stayed at the Premier Inn Excel centre too, handy, cheap, let you bring your bike into the room and the food was ok, they even did an early breakfast for us.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,476
    If you're going to enter this event you know it's going to cost a few quid so make it a weekend away with the mrs. That's what we are doing, two couples for a night out on the town!
    Advocate of disc brakes.