enve aero stem install

Hello,
Has anyone installed a enve aero stem? I am just about to but before I cut the steerer I want to ask if the instructions in the box and the ionline vid make sense? I am looking at cutting the steerer 2mm below the top mark but when you add the compression plug it comes to being flush with the top of the stem leaving no room for tightening the top bolt to pull the steerer up?

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Not used that stem but sounds much like any other. You have 3 options 1) Cut the steerer down further so that there is a 2mm gap from the top of the expanding bung 2) Just add a small spacer above the stem to allow the required gap for the top cap to seat and bolt down 3) Aquire an expanding bung that doesn't have the lip and and can be positioned within the steerer at a suitable height.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    Sounds normal, the slam mentality would be to cut a couple of mm off the steerer tube, the sensible money wold be on sticking a 5mm spacer on top which also gives you a bit of wiggle room should you ever get a bad back or change your stem which might be a different height on the clamping end
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Just googled that stem, looks like adding a spacer on top isn't an option due to the design which requires a proprietary top cap? That stem costs a lot of money :#
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    i.bhamra said:

Just googled that stem, looks like adding a spacer on top isn't an option due to the design which requires a proprietary top cap? That stem costs a lot of money :#

oooft, best to be sure on youre position then.....