Cannondale slate new wheels

Hi I am looking at getting a pair of hand built wheels for my slate. Was thinking of DT Swiss 240s or tune hubs and dt Swiss rims. The bike will be 90% road use. Also am confused as to what hub I need the 1.0 or the 2.0 super max. The bike as the lefty Oliver fitted. Thanks in advance Mark

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What's the other 10% use if not road ?
  • longster
    longster Posts: 53
    Off road. Fenix do you have any advice re the wheels???
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited March 2020
    Remember this bike may require a 6mm offset built into he dish of the rear wheel.

Also remember dt swiss rims fall into the class of tu eless rims that can provide faff. Tyres are not likely to remain seated without air making sealant refills potentially problematic as you can always guarantee that the tyre will reset require a strip down clean and start again. Also a flat again means a inner tube. HED, Stans and a number of others are like this.

There are a number of rims however that keep tyres seated. Easton r90sl, spank 24, Mavic UST, Kinlin. Also dont be fooled I to thinking spending so more on rims or hubs makes them magically better. Personally i would6touch tune hubs with a barge pole. Dt swiss disc hubs are decent enough but expensive. the bearing life is not legendary, it's perfectly respectable though. HOPE make a better hub in that more spares are available. Carbon ti does a lefty hub as well.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • longster
    Hi cycleclinic thanks for the advice. I didn’t think hope did a lefty hub as tbh that was my first thought. And tbh the bike will be my winter bike so I don’t want to spend big money on the wheels but I still want good quality.
    Thanks again
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    If you're on a budget, the two hubsets you referred to in your OP are both pretty expensive.
  • longster
    Well what I should of said is that I don’t want to spend unnecessary but still want good quality thanks
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Given that it's for a winter bike I'd get something like this:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-disc-brake-wheelsets/products/borg28disc-650b-27-5-700c-mtb-touring-gravel-tubeless-compatible-wheelset

Hubs are easy to maintain, brass nipples and you get a fantastic warrenty which is much better than one from an established brand.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited March 2020
    Lefty the problem though. I'd have to substitute a dt swiss hub for lefty compatibility in the suggested wheelset above. To be honest it's something I need to look into.

So hope dont do lefty's. I am surprised if they dont.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Why not use a lefty hub from cannondale. A google search shows those to to be pretty cheap.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • longster
    Hi I spoke to hope today and they don’t do a lefty compatible hub. Thanks cycleclinc I will have a think about it.
    Mark
  • longster
    Hi one other thing what axle is fitted to the slate is it the 1.0 or the 2.0 thanks mark
  • That depends on the hub shell. 50mm flange to flange is version and 60mm is version. This thread prompted to look into this today.

The axle mount for the two hubs does differ. You can use a 1.0 hub on a 2.0 fork ut not the other way around. There are rotor adapter plates for 1.0 hub on 2.0 forks.

The slate should have a 2.0 fork and hub.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I’m getting a set built up soon for my slate . The wheel builder is using Dt Swiss 361 rims and using my current lefty hub from the stock mavic wheels .
    I’m hoping he doesn’t make a bollox of it 😆