Paint bubbling/corrosion?

I've noticed recently that the paint is bubbling at the top of my forks. I've had it since mid 2012, it's well ridden including commuting in Manchester for a couple of years. It's been my winter bike for the last couple of years,so now ridden in near constant grime.

Does this just look superficial or is it likely more serious?
If serious, can forks be repaired or do I need new forks?
Thanks

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-1-2012

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Doesn't look good to me. I'd be looking for new forks myself but not had that on any of my bikes.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    It is a hybrid fork, alloy steerer tube and fork crown, carbon legs with alloy dropouts. You would be advised to drop the fork out and remove all the paint from the fork crown down to the junction where the fork legs are attached into the crown. Check that there is nothing untoward going on with the bonding of the legs into the crown. May be take them to your LBS for an assement. If all good, etch prime and refinish with top coat and lacquer.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/19609544#Comment_19609544
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    this is a paint defect and not at all unusal. usually seen on Aluminium frames, on a frame it leads to a powdery white surface and ultimately failure. on Carbon forks I would just sand off and re lacquer.

at 8 years old and used regularly for commuting in Manchester it is almost to be expected but not something that i would personally be worried about other than cosmetically.

My turbo bike looks like it (a lot)

• david37 said:

this is a paint defect and not at all unusal. usually seen on Aluminium frames, on a frame it leads to a powdery white surface and ultimately failure. on Carbon forks I would just sand off and re lacquer.

at 8 years old and used regularly for commuting in Manchester it is almost to be expected but not something that i would personally be worried about other than cosmetically.

My turbo bike looks like it (a lot)

This - I had a winter alu Giant hack bike that did this, more on the chainstays than the fork, but ultimately, after circa 10 years of general winter/commuter abuse I just left it outside for the scrap metal man.
    Imo -either replace the fork or upgrade the frame.