Changing cassette on turbo to match bike

I’ve just taken delivery of an Elite Suito which comes with an 11-28 cassette. My road bike however is currently running 11-32 with a long RD. I haven’t yet set up the trainer properly but shifting seems a bit all over the place. Should I change the cassette on the trainer to an 11-32 to match my bike, or shouldn’t it make much/any difference?

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Shouldn't make much difference. You'll probably find the indexing needs a tweak.
  • dannbodge said:

Shouldn't make much difference. You'll probably find the indexing needs a tweak.

Thanks. I'll take a proper look tonight/tomorrow when I've got a bit of time. I don't really want to have to fiddle with the indexing every time I put the bike on or off the trainer though - so might be worth getting an 11-32 in any event...
  • You'll probably need to fiddle with indexing maybe up to half a turn, regardless of which cassette sizing you fit. The only way out of fiddling is to either to be lucky, or to shim the cassette (either on bike or trainer, whichever is needed).

Mine is a consistent quarter turn one way or the other each time I change over, not really a hardship.
  • Could simply be due to using worn chain with new cassette.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks all for the advice. I thought a direct drive trainer was supposed to be simpler! I'm sure I'll get used to tweaking the barrel adjuster.

Could simply be due to using worn chain with new cassette.

Shouldn't be this - I've put a new chain and cassette on the road bike in the last two weeks.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It is simpler - if you leave a bike on there ... ;)
  • slowbike said:

It is simpler - if you leave a bike on there ... ;)

I do have a separate project for a gravel/commuter bike ongoing which would mean that I might be able to get away with leaving the aero road bike on the trainer. I'm not sure what kind of trouble that might cause at home though....

:#
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited February 2020
    shouldn‘t be an issue. Just tweak the gearing untill it shifts fine. There is someting at the end of the cable at the cassette that you can adjust.
  • Thanks to everyone for their advice. Just to close off this thread - it appears as if the problem was caused by
    me installing the QR skewer and spacer from the wrong side.

Needless to say it now runs smoothly and I'm very much enjoying zwifting.

Muppet #facepalm