Road cycle holiday packages - any recommendations?

Hi - I've been looking at Italian cycle hols, where they provide bikes, luggage transfers, hotels, routes etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? Been looking at a few, in some cases where you subtract the accommodation, seems to be a stiff fee per head - maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, thought I'd ask if there were any particularly good ones folks were very happy with. Aiming for Italy. Cheers

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    I've been happy with Marmot. So much so that I'm looking forward to my 3rd trip. (None to Italy yet, that will be 2022).
    You are correct that in isolation the costs look high but you are paying for the knowledge and support. I made the decision to do one of those every 2 years instead of Mallorca every year. It works out about the same.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I've never done a cycling package, I don't see the value. There's so much information on the net, and you can plot routes on loads of different packages, how much does paying for a local guide get you?
    My mates have done self-organised trips to the French Alps, the Italian Alps, Majorca and soon to Switzerland. They reckon on spending £400 per person for a week; they share the driving and they stay half board in "sensible" accomodation. They also get the fun of planning the itinerary...
  • I've been with Pyrenees Multisport and Alpine Cadence. Both excellent, and both do a dolomites/stelvio&gavia tour. You need to have a word with them to make sure each tour is right for you though.

What I love about them is only having to think about riding and eating. You pay extra, but you get full vehicle support plus guide riders, route planning, hotels booked, evening meals included, bags transferred, and whatever you want waiting at the top of climbs. I've never felt ripped off for what I've paid.

• But obviously wouldn't book anything in the north of Italy just yet...
  • I have changed my mind! Mind you, bet there's some good deals going ...
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    I'm not affiliated to this company at all. But i went on a trip with them 5 years ago, geneva to nice. A great route (likely similar to most others), but the bike guides one of which was the owner of the company and van drive were all great company, good accommodation every night and meals included most nights and a picnic coffee stop with pastry most mornings and picnic lunch most days also.

https://www.ratherbecycling.co.uk/
  • martin.thoval
    martin.thoval Posts: 2
    edited July 2021
    hi
  • mjai
    mjai Posts: 1
    CLIMB Cycling offer excellent trips in the french Alps based from the one area, which is nice as your not moving from place to place each day. They are fully supported on and off the road, all inclusive food was amazing, routes taking in some of the most famous climbs in the area and they even have a full time mechanic there for any repairs or emergency’s needing taken care off which is a huge bonus when travelling with your own bike or if your not technically minded.

Highly recommended.