Best app for beginners?

What's the best app for ~1 hr sessions for indoor beginners? Probably looking for a mix of HIIT and varied sessions...

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Trainerroad or Sufferfest probably.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Try them all.

Most people like Zwift. I like Sufferfest.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    TrainerRoad for actual training and Zwift just to ride around, especially if you have friends using it (in the current climate).
  • asprilla

TrainerRoad for actual training and Zwift just to ride around, especially if you have friends using it (in the current climate).

If found TrainerRoad the worst. Very dull. Sufferfest gives the same training experience but with better videos and more humour.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    asprilla said:

If found TrainerRoad the worst. Very dull. Sufferfest gives the same training experience but with better videos and more humour.
    I felt the same, added Big Ring VR for virtual alpine climbs
  • asprilla
    I didn't know about big ring VR. I'm going to try that for the climbs, as they actually have Passo Di Stelvio from Bormio and Mortirolo, both of which I've actually ridden up.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    If you are on IOS then I enjoy FulGaz for solo turbo sessions.
    Give it a try and decide. Relatively cheap, especially if you use the 2 log on users which halves the cost.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    edited April 2020
    I use BigRingVR - high quality video (4K on the way), good dashboard, realistic and accurate gradients with smooth transitions and masses of rides from around the world to choose from. You can also use your own video and gpx files to create your own rides.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited April 2020
    dabber said:

I use BigRingVR - high quality video (4K on the way), good dashboard, realistic and accurate gradients with smooth transitions and masses of rides from around the world to choose from. You can also use your own video and gpx files to create your own rides.

I think I may well still have a sub to bigringvr, but didn't fully take to it when I used it.
    My biggest issue was not being able to ride against\with people, like you can on RGT, and also the biggest thing for me, is the filming was carried out, as far as I could tell, either from a car or a scooter\moped, but it was going faster than a cyclist would do, so even at a slow pace, you would see yourself carching and passing other cyclists, but the video looked like it was in super slowmo - downhills or flats were better.

Has any of this been improved in the last 12 months or so?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    daniel_b said:

dabber said:

I think I may well still have a sub to bigringvr, but didn't fully take to it when I used it.
    My biggest issue was not being able to ride against\with people, like you can on RGT, and also the biggest thing for me, is the filming was carried out, as far as I could tell, either from a car or a scooter\moped, but it was going faster than a cyclist would do, so even at a slow pace, you would see yourself carching and passing other cyclists, but the video looked like it was in super slowmo - downhills or flats were better.

Has any of this been improved in the last 12 months or so?
    Yes that is the biggest issue, highlighted when the car passed a sign that posted its speed, but the gradients and feel are realistic, at least on the climbs I have done in real life and on BGvr. But what ever set up you have your still in your garage/shed at home
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited April 2020
    fatted864 said:

But what ever set up you have your still in your garage/shed at home

Totally, but for me I'm likely to be in my garage at least half the time anyway, so in this instance I just find RGT way more engaging.
    I've also started using RGT for some visuals when carrying out my TrainerRoad workouts - TR connects to my sensors bia BLE, RGT connects to them via Ant+, TR controls the trainer, works quite well, especially whilst there is no live sport to watch.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • df3er342
    df3er342 Posts: 5
    Trainerroad or Sufferfest probably.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    asprilla said:

I think TR has better structured plans and workouts than Sufferfest (or Zwift for that matter), and is a better pure training tool. You so need to bring your own entertainment though. I suppose that does make it less beginner friendly to be fair.

Having used zwift a bit more extensively now, I'd say zwift is more beginner friendly - better for casual riding, social aspects, competitive etc. None of which you can really say for sufferfest or TR.

I like the TR workouts and have continued to use them. They also have better training support and you can get access to proper advice if you need it.