Whole new bike or significant component upgrade?

So can't afford to buy the level of bike i really want as its beyond my budget, but could stretch to circa 1600 quid. For that could get something like a new Supersix or an Emonda with Tiagra or 105 and basic wheels, or i could get whole new Ultegra 11spd groupset and really good wheels (plus a few other bits and have change) and put onto my existing frame (Madone 5.2 about 8 years old with circa 8k miles on it). Do i go whole new bike knowing i'll need to upgrade the wheels or i stick with old frame but nearly everything else updated? I do mostly club rides and sportives, 45-70 miles at a time and like hills so want a light bike. Thoughts?

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397
    So, first question, what is the "level of bike" you really want?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • £1,600 will get you a great bike on the second hand market.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Unless you want a second bike, upgrading the bike you have will almost certainly give a better result than buying a new bike with entry level kit from what you're describing.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Bargain specialized allez in the classifieds ;)
    Less than half the op's budget, allowing for a great set of wheels to be bought to compliment the brilliant allez frame and still be within budget.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Save up for a bit longer and get the bike you really want.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    I'd get a Dura Ace groupset (Merlin, £1k) plus a set of Prime SE 50mm carbon clinchers (Wiggle, £450) and a set of GP5000s and stick them on your Madone frame for now.

Then next year, get the frame you want - there will always be a great deal on something e.g this year there are loads of cheap Pinarellos around.

You will end up with the bike you really want that way and you'll get most of the benefits this year.

Might as well go Dura ace with your budget because the Prime wheels are as good as you'll get unless you spend silly money (ie way more than your £1600 budget)
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

£1,600 will get you a great bike on the second hand market.

Agreed.It is a buyers market now but it won't be for long.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901
    There are 2 upgrade routes.
    Upgrade components on existing frame.
    Upgrade the frame using existing components.
    Which will give the most benefits?
    Then do the other in the future to get the bike you ultimately want.
    Bear in mind future interchangeability, disc brakes, or electronic gearing for example.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 2nd hand market at the moment, is very good - I picked up a 2 year old max Cervelo R5 with Ultegra and carbon wheelset (all in very good condition), for £1,550 on eBay using a snipe tool. The market won't last forever and I can see that restrictions in supply of new components in China, will possibly increase second hand prices.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn