105 5800 clicking / stiff front shifter?

I just re-cabled my bike and as if that wasn't traumatic enough with internal cables... the left hand shifter
has started behaving badly (i've isolated the issue to the shifter as it operates this way whether connected to the derailleur on not)

Its hard to describe, but the internal mechanism has stopped moving smoothly. When shifting up this means its not a smooth action and requires too much force followed by a sudden jump to the big ring and lots of loud clicking and s gritty feeling from the shifter. When shifting down one press on the lever doesn't release the ratchet all the way (although enough to just about shift down), and two presses are required to return the shifter to the right position (the position where you are in the little ring, and the ratchet in the shifter has fully rotated so that you can extract the gear cable?) again this is accompanied by loud clicking and a gritty feel

Any ideas on what is causing the issue and how to fix it? I've sprayed some GT85 in there in the meantime to see if that loosens anything up.

Thanks!

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    this sounds like one of those issues best solved by starting from scratch... or asking a mate to take a look and see if you've missed something obvious.

TBH from your description and assuming your shifter was working correctly previously I would suspect incorrect tension or routing. Did you change outers as well? In any case make a cup of tea, take a deep breath and start again.

• Its winter, cables are always stiffer to operate this time of year, as are the pivots on the mechs. more lube on everything.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The previous comments are sensible if the cable is connected up to the mech, but the OP says the shifter feels the same when not connected to the mech? If the paddles on the shifter aren't moving smoothly with virtually no resistance when not connected to the mech it does indeed suggest the issue is at the shifter end.

Are both the inner and outer cable seated correctly in the shifter housing? Have you used the correct type of outer cable ferrule where the cable enters the shifter housing? Was there any fraying in the inner-cable you removed, if there was there may be some fragments left in the shifter interfering with the ratchet?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    As far as i can tell I've installed everything correctly... still seems to me that there is something up with the shifter mechanism.

I packed the bike up and flew it to the US and its working well enough to ride... although still doesn't feel quite right so my plan is to continue and ignore it until it breaks properly.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153
    The 105 hydraulic shifters I have (rs505 I think) are a pain for getting the cable seated properly in the shifter because the angle/route makes it want to pop out, and then it won't shift properly.
    I'm not sure if it's the same on the 5800.
    I agree with the others - take it our and start again.

On my bike, taking out the bottom bracket spindle gives you more access for the internal cabling (the cables are free to rattle inside if they're not under tension).