Which bike from the list? (P2, P3, Aerium - old vs new)

Hello,

I am in the market for a TT bike as you guys proposed in my last thread.
The problem is that I don't want to break the bank and feel happy with a second hand bike.
I already filtered down to 4 choices, but really don't know what to proiritize? The age of the bike, the peripherals, ...?

Right now I have a Cube Aerium from 2012 (non TT) and the fact that it's old never bothered me. I am not faster or slower because of my not-so-recent-bike so to say.

1. Cube Aerium SCR 2010 mavic ksyrium @ 900€
2. Cervelo P2 2012 105 cole wheels @ 1200€
3. Cervelo P2 2015 105 rs010 wheels @ 1500€
4. Cervelo P3 2005 di2 Mavic Ksyrium@ 1500€

As you can see there is really a big difference in price between the first and the 2 last ones.
But will this big price difference be reflected in performances?
He will need to serve for a couple of 1/2 and 1/4 triathlons.

Thanks!
Ben

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I can't see that you'd get 600 euros of time saved on the most expensive bike over the cheapest.

The position is the most important thing of all.

Try them for size and position.

And train your weakest discipline. On a half IM you're probably talking a minute or two difference between bikes. That's nothing over the distance.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Go second hand; it's cheaper and you can build it to whatever spec you like selling the stuff that you don't want. I got an Exocet II frame for £300. £600 on Prime tubeless wheels 60/185mm, Dura Ace shifters £70, Control Tech aero extensions and Vision base bar £100, Tektro carbon brakes £30. I used a set of cranks I had lying around and brake callipers, and can't remember what I paid for the Ultegra 8000 derailleurs but they weren't expensive.
    But for around the price of your number 2 choice, I built a bike to my spec.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.