New bike - Disc road

I’m looking for a disc road bike that is very stable on descend. I prefer endurance geometry, Ultegra disc groupset.

I have a BMC Roadmachine which, sadly, is skittish on descent. I dont feel confident descending with it. I tried changing wheels, with no difference.

I’m looking for a bike with no proprietary parts and no suspension (i.e. No Roubaix with the suspension) between 3-4000 pounds.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• You need to work out what is causing the skittishness rather than blaming the bike. Otherwise the same issue could crop up on the next one.

It could be tyre pressures, roder position, even the fork it self. Stem length is another possibility as that affect position.

Look at this logically as it will help when buying a new bike. We cant do it for you though.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Yup, as above. The BMC often gets great reviews for it's handling and no bike is designed to be skittish. Work out what is wrong BEFORE spending loads of money replacing it.
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited February 2020
    I've ridden a Road Machine and it was one of the most stable, comfy bikes ever.

Are you sure the problem isn't the bit sat on it? ;)
  • Thanks - to answer the questions raised, the setup on my Roadmachine (tire, tire pressure, position) is basically identical to my previous bike (Roubaix Sl4) which did not have any issues whatsoever on descent (except for braking, but thats another question!).

So, if you have any suggestions, either to end the problem, please feel free!
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    Wondering if it is the dreaded speed wobble that affects a number of BMC bikes. Mine certainly suffered, which meant i had to move on to another bike.