Mallorca at Easter

Heading to Port de Pollença over Easter this year and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this time of year? I'm a little worried that it is going to be crazy busy.

Alternatively, it may mean that coach tours ect may not be running because it is Easter?

Finally, whilst we've got three days of cycling planned, Formentor, Sa Calobra,and a long day over Puig Major to Soller and back, does anyone has any suggestions for a mid difficulty ride from Port de Pollença?

Thanks

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Brilliant half day from there is Campanet valley, Col de Sa Batalla, Lluc, descend the Col de Femenia.
  • ribbo
    ribbo Posts: 35
    Looks good, cheers!
  • George_Scott
    George_Scott Posts: 41
    edited February 2020
    mrb123 said:

Brilliant half day from there is Campanet valley, Col de Sa Batalla, Lluc, descend the Col de Femenia.

That's the exact route I would have suggested. It's a superb ride: Campanet valley is very picturesque and quiet, Col de Sa Batalla is one of the best climbs on the island (great road surface, very scenic and varied) and the Col de Femenia is an incredible descent (barely have to touch the brakes). Have a good time!

• I'd also recommend Mr123's route. Make sure you have a cafe stop at Sa Ruta Verda in Caimari, it's one of the best cycling cafes on the island IMO.

With regards to the island being busy, aim to ride to Formentor and Sa Callobra as early as possible, both of them are far nicer when the roads are still quiet.
    On your long day aim to be out before 6am and going up the Femenia as the sun is rising, then you'll have Sa Calobra to yourself!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    On your ride to Soller you can make it a fantastic (if pretty tough) loop by going up the Col de Soller after the Puig Major descent and then returning via Bunyola, Col D'honor, Col D'Orient, Alaro, Selva, Campanet. I would probably do it the other way round though.

If that sounds like too much climbing you can return slightly further South and miss off the Honor and Orient which is the way that the 312 route does it.
  • I wouldn't say the Col d'Soller is that bad, the worst bit is the turning onto it from the main road. There's also a nice cafe at the top if you wish to reward yourself with a Fanta Limon.
  • mrb123 said:

Agree 100%. I rode this for the first time last year and it was probably my favourite ride of the trip (Sa Calobra and Formentor are still fantastic though). The Col De Sa Batalla is a great climb, steady rather than difficult I would say. A couple of café options are the Coves de Campanet - beautiful stone terraced area with great views or alternatively (or as well as) the one next to the service station just before the Lluc turn off. The descent down Femenia is awesome.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited February 2020
    ribbo said:

Alternatively, it may mean that coach tours ect may not be running because it is Easter?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Eh, your assumption is incorrect.
    Seriously though, all advice above is good, and that 1/2 day ride is my favourite to get back for lunch. Assuming you are also doing the lighthouse.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ribbo
    ribbo Posts: 35
    pblakeney said:

ribbo said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Eh, your assumption is incorrect.
    Seriously though, all advice above is good, and that 1/2 day ride is my favourite to get back for lunch. Assuming you are also doing the lighthouse.
    Just wishful thinking then!

Thanks all for the suggestions, much appreciated.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

I wouldn't say the Col d'Soller is that bad, the worst bit is the turning onto it from the main road. There's also a nice cafe at the top if you wish to reward yourself with a Fanta Limon.

I missed the cafe :(
    I did it south to north and the climb was nice but then it drizzled a bit and the descent was a bit sketchy :smiley:

Sa collabra was free of coaches when i went (late october) but still quite a few cars and bikes to avoid.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Check out the routes we did on the link below! We went at Easter a few years ago, perfect conditions!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....