Is Tom Dumoulin Finished?

Seems his pre-Valencia sickness claim may have been a cover up.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-delays-season-debut-skipping-tirreno-adriatico/

Knee injuries can be extremely difficult to recover from...
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

• timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,481
    That's a little bit of a leap, he might just have been ill, plenty of bugs going round this time of year.

Whether he can get back to the rider he was in 2018 is another question though, and perhaps not.
  • m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 1,621
    Think he will be fine. Expect Roglic to lead at the Tour though.
    PTP Champion 2019
  • focuszing723focuszing723 Posts: 15
    edited 12 February
    It was a tendon tear of the knee, he's 29. It's a bit early to write-off one of the best TTers who can climb.
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 9,365
    As I understand it, he's finished... but he needs to go again.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

The Vikings are coming!
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,470 Lives Here
    Have also been murmurings that his head is not really in it and he really has to summon up a lot of energy to hurt himself as much as he needs to in training.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,470 Lives Here
    Sheesh, what a bummer.

What do we think are his chances that he's on top form for a big race this season?
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,481
    I suppose this would explain why he still looks race thin despite the lack of training.

He could certainly have a shot at the Vuelta yet. That or strong support role at the tour, all being well.

But until we see him racing very hard to draw any conclusions.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,184
    awavey said:
    Sounds like cover for dodgy weight loss practices to me (sorry, I'm in training to join The Clinic).
  • zest28zest28 Posts: 91
    Tom is over and done.

It is only a matter of time when Egan becomes good in TT and then Tom might as well quit.
  • zest28zest28 Posts: 91

Sheesh, what a bummer.

What do we think are his chances that he's on top form for a big race this season?

The only top guy Tom might beat is Chris Froome for the reasons I guess you already know.

But everybody else, I don’t see it happening.