Ride London 2020, I’m In.

2»

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

I have an entry this year through the ballot for the first time (tried every year to date) so looking forward to it just for the experience.

Not sure whether to do Velo Essex as well. As a Chelmsford resident, slightly off paying £80 to ride on roads I do every week, but on the other hand, it's a big event on my doorstep and there will be upheaval to my normal Sunday so why not...

Contrary to popular belief, Essex is not as flat as Norfolk, I tend to average 500ft climbing per 10 miles for most rides. The Velo Essex route doesn't really go up any notable hills like Leith Hill or Box Hill but it does roll more than you might expect, particularly the bits north of Finchingfield.

I'm going to pre-register. I'm always interested in closed road events. Whether I end up applying or not I'll decide later.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • This could be the last year as Prudential are pulling out.

It's an event to do once, but it is expensive and you get virtually nothing for your money other than the closed roads. I think it is really poorly organised - they have never managed to get the whole field around the full 100 mile course. They mix good cyclists with the charity riders which is dangerous. There are too many folks trying for a sub 4.30 100 miler mixed in with the 8 hour charity riders. There are too many people with no idea how to ride in a group or close to other riders. The Leith Hill descent is dangerous due to the surface and volume of riders. Fundamentally there are too many entrants and the organisers (London Marathon) haven't understood the differences between running and cycling events.

That said, the run back into London is fun, especially once you hit the Embankment and head towards Parliament Square, Whitehall and the Mall. An early start is also essential.

I've done it twice, but never again, and the contrast with the organisation of events like the Eape du Ttour is simply huge.

Good luck to those with entries and enjoy your day!

This 100%. Do it once if you want but there are far better ones to do that are after and more fun/ challenging.
    The Fred Whitton, (115mile 13,000ft of climbing around the lakes) or The Yorkshire White Rose Classic, same as Fred Whitton but in Yorkshire, The Dragon Ride in South Wales, loads of different length routes!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,024
    Well I got my "NO" brochure a few weeks ago however on Thursday night I got an email for the Amstel Ride Together team event which is how I/we got in two years ago. Quickly filled it in and sent it back. 200 places, first come first serve and I got a response about ten minutes later telling me I'd been successful.

So our team of four is sorted, two couples so we'll make a weekend out of it and go out on Sunday night after the event.
    Advocate of disc brakes.