G ones or gravel kings

I got my new vitus energie vr the other day love the bike fits perfect the only gripe I would have is the tyres it came with vee xcx 33mm I hate them there very thin not much bigger looking than my 25mm contis on my road bike so after much looking on internet ive made my mind up on either g ones or gravel kings in 38mm I want something that will roll on tarmac and gravel and a bit of mud pretty well. Has anyone got either of these on there bikes and what do they think cheers

Comments

• rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    I've got 38mm gravel kings (slick version) and think they are great. Roll well, very comfortable and are surprisingly capable off-road in the dry. I've also got some Scwalbe X-ones for when it is wet and muddy and they are also very good.

Both are good tyres.
  • Ok cheers the tyres that came on my other vitus cx bike were cross boss 35c they were pretty good but on my new one the 2020 model the stock ones are crap I’m thinking of swaying towards the gravel king sk in a 38
  • G Ones, Gravelkings are puncture magnets in my experience. Surely the G Ones can't be as bad.

Although if you're mainly riding off road then buy some more Cross Bosses, I really like them.
  • It’s going to be 50/50 road of road I’ve just ordered the gravel king sk in 38c I’ve looked at tons of reviews and they fit my bill
  • G Ones, Gravelkings are puncture magnets in my experience. Surely the G Ones can't be as bad.

Although if you're mainly riding off road then buy some more Cross Bosses, I really like them.

GravelKings or GravelKings SK? Ie slick or mild nobs? About the only gripe I have with the GravelKings SK is they blow up big vs most, they are no worse for punctures than the X-ones to be honest! I have moved across to cheaper more durable Smart Sams which are heavier though for my uses no slower. Your mileage varies etc.

• The gravel kings have a square file tread in the middle the sk has the same with a side tread on it I think your on about the gravel kings slicks
  • I used the regular Gravelkings, not the SK one so can't speak for them.
    My theory is that the file tread pattern collects flints and allows them to work their way into the tyre. It's a similar tread pattern to Vittoria Corsa's which are also terrible at picking up punctures.
  • Tried Gravelking SK's. Were a complete bugger to fit tubeless. Both punctured really quickly (flints). Repaired them and tried to refit tubeless, wouldn't go on despite using a compressor. Bought G-Ones instead and gave the Gravelkings to the dog to play with.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Conversely I found the G-Ones slow and heavy (33mm) I ended up putting some Rubino Pros on in a 28mm which came up more like 30's. I'll swap back to the G-ones when the weather improves.
    On the Corsa's, I've had zero issues, they are a summer only tyre though, I run Rubinos in winter an they have been solid thus far.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237

G Ones, Gravelkings are puncture magnets in my experience. Surely the G Ones can't be as bad.

I’ve found the opposite, G Ones were puncture magnets for me.
    Currently running one bike on Gravel King SK and the other on normal Gravel Kings and they’ve been great.