Cannondale Synapse

Anyone got a recent one ? Toying with the idea of one as a second/Winter bike. Wondering what size tyres they'll take with guards - would like 28s without it being too tight.

Also how close are they to race geometry - I'd like something to pretty much be classic race bike (too old/stiff to fit some of the super low aero stuff) only with guards in Winter, discs and fatter tyres than the 23mm my current Winter bike takes with guards.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I have a 2017 Synapse - carbon/disc/ultegra. It came standard with 28s so no problem there - I'm pretty sure it will take at least one size more without guards. Mine doesn't have fixings for guards so never tried.

Not sure about race geometry as I always ride endurance-led bikes. At a guess I would say that the front end is relatively high but you could always slam it.

I'm really pleased with mine - no complaints other than the stupid seat post bolt arrangement (you may not care) and the propensity for creaking (that may just be mine!).
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Thanks. Yes I think maybe they changed the geometry a little the year after yours - not sure. I've read the new ones have hidden fixings for guards which is why I'm thinking maybe the change came the year after.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    There was a fairly substantial remodel for 2018, you're right.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • How about a CAAD 13? They've got racier geometry than the Synapse and the disc version can fit 28's with proper mudguards.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178

Here's my 2018 Synapse Hi-Mod with 28mm tyres on. I put guards on in the Winter, no problem you could probably get 30's on if you have wider guards but mine are quite narrow. The geometry is quite racy for an endurance bike but not particularly low. I find it very fast and comfortable. The only thing to bear in mind, is the BB30A bottom bracket. You can get adaptors to fit Shimano 24mm axles but not all cranks will fit as it's a wide standard.
  • My 2019 Synapse with Grand Prix 4 Season 28's. Yes there are threaded inserts to mount mudguards on fork and seatstays. I moved from a Colnago CLX to the Synapse last year and I love it.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    I've got a 2019 one as my winter bike; the Carbon Tiagra model - and they can fit much larger tyres than the previous model. In fact, I've even had 40mm WTB Byway fitted, which isn't ideal, but it was just an experiment to see what would fit. I did a ride around Llyn Brenig/ Alwen with 35mm Conti CX Speed and they were just fine.
    This later 'normal' model is supposedly stiffer & lighter than the previous version Hi-Mod version.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I bought an end of line 2016 Synapse Alloy Disc Adventure in 2018 and that only takes 25’s with mudguards. It might take 28’s without the mudguards but I use it as a winter bike.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    paulbnix said:

I bought an end of line 2016 Synapse Alloy Disc Adventure in 2018 and that only takes 25’s with mudguards. It might take 28’s without the mudguards but I use it as a winter bike.

There was a big change to the Synapse in 2018 https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/cannondale-2018-synapse-hi-mod-review/
  • I have a 2019 Hi-mod disc and love it as a winter bike. There is loads of clearance when running 28mm Conti gp5000 tubless with mudguards.
    As for the race fit, my summer bike is a Cannondale supersix and with a -20° stem the fit is the same on both bikes.

There are some great deals available at the moment on last years models depending on what size you need etc.