Servicing speedplay zero pedals

I've done way more than the recommended 2k miles without regreasing my speedplay pedals and they don't turn quite as smoothly as they should.
I've tried to use a Park grease gun to do the job, but without any luck. I know I unscrew the tiny screw and then put the gun in the port, without taking out the dustcap. But, despite applying a whole lot of pressure as I use the gun, all that happens is that the grease comes out the dustcap end, not out of the spindle. I've done this on a couple of pedals, so it doesn't seem to be a specific problem with one pedal.
Can anybody advise me what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks

Comments

• I don't know how big the nozzle is on the Park gun but a thin nozzle is needed so it can insert a couple of mm into the grease port. And then yes, lots of pressure and sometimes turning the pedal to get a different angle can help. They are pretty simple things inside, I can't think what else could cause any issues.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    this works fine with speedplay zero, used it for several years, no issues, the tip seals against the port better than another gun i tried

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Weldtite-Grease-Teflon-surface-protector/dp/B0035C0F2S

you do need to apply a lot pressure to keep the nozzle sealed against the port and the cap fully seated, otherwise it'll get forced out by the grease pressure

btw don't screw the tube into the gun too tight as the end of the tube can snap off
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • you're doing nothing wrong - it just happens as the end cap is forced out by the pressure of the grease trying to find the escape route of least resistance. Easily solved !!!!! Lie bike on side with opposite pedal to the one you're greasing firmly pushed into the floor. Have the pedal you're greasing in line with the grease gun and push hard so that there is a LOT of force down into the pedal end - this gives you enough pressure to force the grease in but as you are also pushing down on the cap as well the grease goes in and oozes filthily out the other side. Works for me every time PS I only grease them when the pedal starts to spin freely when given a flip.
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Other option is to remove dust cap and undo the small hex or torx head (depends how old the pedals are which you will have) that holds the pedal on the spindle. The pedal body will then slide off the spindle (may need some persuasion if it's really gunked up) and you can clean up and apply grease directly to the spindle or into the pedal body before reassembling. It's only a 5 minute job. worst case you can get a service kit which contains all the bearings and seals, probably a 30 min job to replace all on both sides.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think bhamra's option is the best. Less messy, and quicker in the end.
  • Thanks all. I might start with the "lie it on the ground and apply more force" option and if no luck will take a look at taking it off the spindle.
  • Yeah...having done both in the past, the former is rather quicker IMO. Less than two minutes for one pedal just yesterday in fact.
  • Thanks for the advice on here. I laid the bike on its side and applied more force. Job done!