Priaxis Alba M30 48/32T Chainring Replacement Options

Hey.

I've got a Gravel/Adventure bike that came with a Priaxis Alba M30 48/32T 10spd Chainset, and I've knackered the outer ring ( 3 teeth gone in 1400miles. :s ) , so in the process of trying to find a replacement chainring ( appears to be a Priaxis Buzz 48T at £100), but a new Tiagra 4700 2x10 (50x34) series chainset is £43 cheaper (even a 105 5750 50x34 is £10 cheaper). - and I get new inner rings and BB as well...

I've looked a the 10spd GRX 600 46/30 at £100, but think that'll be too low a gearing, I spin out in some sections already

My old road bike which I did the same commute on for 2 years has for the same commute is 50x34 but with 11-28 cassette, compared to 11-34 on the gravel bike, so believe the gearing shift is quite tolerable.

So, before I bin the Priaxis M30 stuff, are there any third party chainring manufacturers that do an 110BCD 48T outer ring that can fit the Alba M30 set, or is it just a case of swap to the 105 5750 50x34, save £10, and be done with it? (The bike has Shimano 4700 shifters already )

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Don't forget that the Praxis chainset has its own bottom bracket so if you switch to a Tiagra or 105 chainset you may need to replace the Praxis BB with a suitable Shimano HT2 BB. Not sure I've seen the Shimano chainsets offered with the BB included in the price but I've not done an exhaustive search.

The HT2 BB's are cheap as chips however so you will still be quids in with the Tiagra option or about break even if you go for the 105 version
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    arlowood said:

Don't forget that the Praxis chainset has its own bottom bracket so if you switch to a Tiagra or 105 chainset you may need to replace the Praxis BB with a suitable Shimano HT2 BB. Not sure I've seen the Shimano chainsets offered with the BB included in the price but I've not done an exhaustive search.

The HT2 BB's are cheap as chips however so you will still be quids in with the Tiagra option or about break even if you go for the 105 version

Good reminder, although I've got 4 HT2 BB-R60's in the garage, bought for the road bike, so part of the consideration is moving to a consistent, interchangeable solution - I just don't like throwing stuff away unless it's really beyond economical repair.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    This seems to sugggest you get the two rings for £105
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Praxis-Works/Buzz-Road-Chainrings-110BCD
    Also have a look at TA Specialites rings. https://www.tredz.co.uk/specialites-ta-chainrings
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    As far as I can tell, your Praxis rings are standard five arm 110 BCD fitting. If so, there’s plenty of good after market suppliers. Spa Cycles have a large selection of 48 tooth outer rings in five arm 110 BCD including their very good own label Zicral rings for £27 in black, plus TA and Stronglight.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s210p3054/SPA-CYCLES-110-BCD-Zicral-Outer

• how did you get on , i am also wanting to change chainrings on my praxis alba and also put different BB on as my praxis BB is getting worn , any idea of alternatives to praxis as i would like to upgrade.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Hi @slybacon67 . I ended up grabbing a 50/34 tiagra groupset, as there wasn't a 48T Spaccyles Zicral outer (as mentioned by mercian_man available at the time.
    But they are back in stock, so i'll be grabbing one of those today, and will let you know how it all goes.
    My Praxis BB is currently still going strong, but i'm not sure how much longer it will last like that for...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    edited May 2020
    Let us know how it goes, I've just splashed out on new Praxis rings for my race bike. Only the outer was shot but as they only sell matched pairs I bit the bullet and paid up but did wonder how a cheaper non matched outer ring would have worked in terms of shifting.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]