Kicker climb with tax Neo 2

Wahoo say they're not compatible with non Wahoo trainers, and I've read elsewhere that this is due the bike not pivoting freely on the skewer and so there's a risk of damaging your drop outs.

With my Tacx Neo 2, if I lift the front end of the bike, it pivots smoothly. This works fine when lifting the front end up and down and turning the pedal, so I'm thinking of giving it a try with a cheap old frame I don't mind braking if it doesn't work.

I was wondering if there's any other reason they won't work together? Software compatibility perhaps?
Also, do people think there's a risk of the Neo 2 being damaged?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Don't try it. It is designed for the kickr and only connects to the kickr, so even if the motion wasn't damaging your dropouts or neo, it wouldn't work as the climb won't receive the gradient info unless it's connected to a kickr.

At least that's my understanding.

FWIW I have tried the climb and wasn't that impressed. Was fun at first but still felt unnatural, so decided against buying.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The Climb needs to pair with a Kickr trainer to work as far as I know.. You can't get it to pair and work with a Tacx trainer.
  • Ah, okay, Thanks both.

Redvision - not tried one myself, I was thinking it would be better climbing out the saddle.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Ah, okay, Thanks both.

Redvision - not tried one myself, I was thinking it would be better climbing out the saddle.

It does put you in a more accurate climbing position, but it feels strange. When climbing outside the bike moves with you side to side, not just up and down, whereas the kickr climb is limited to this - and it is noticeable.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I have a Climb & I’d rate it as OK. It’s good without being brilliant.

Definitely worth considering if you use Zwift a lot & one of those things that once you have it you’d miss it.

Having said that it’s a premium price tag & I’m not sure it offers value for money.