Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Tektro R312 - upgrading pads to cartridge pads and holders - what do I need?

Hi - newbie so please be gentle....

I have a Giant Contend SL2. It has Tektro R312 brakes.
The rears need replacing and I would like to upgrade to Kool Stop brakes. I understand Kool Stop do cartridge brake pads, but just don’t know what pad holders I would need to take the cartridge brakes or if they are all the same - if anyone can advise and/or provide links to suitable items.

Many thanks
Paul

• imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,058
    You just need regular shimano-fit carriers. Koolstop also sell carriers, although they are all pretty standard.
  • alanyualanyu Posts: 73
    edited January 2020
    Carbon wheels or alu wheels? If alu, I would recommend Baradine brake pads (three colors type) and shoes. They are very cheap, and works better than shimano R55C4 in wet.
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,685
    edited January 2020
    As imposter2.0 said, any brand of Shimano road compatible shoes will do though the pads from the cheaper brands are poor. I bought Shimano R55C3 shoes and pads last time, though my preferred pads are Kool Stop salmon & black. If that's what you're after then look for Kool Stop Dura Type brake shoes.

If you can push to it, a better brake upgrade is to replace them with one of Tektro's better models or Shimano Tiagra 4700 calipers.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.