Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Tektro R312 - upgrading pads to cartridge pads and holders - what do I need?

Hi - newbie so please be gentle....

I have a Giant Contend SL2. It has Tektro R312 brakes.
The rears need replacing and I would like to upgrade to Kool Stop brakes. I understand Kool Stop do cartridge brake pads, but just don’t know what pad holders I would need to take the cartridge brakes or if they are all the same - if anyone can advise and/or provide links to suitable items.

Many thanks


  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,058
    You just need regular shimano-fit carriers. Koolstop also sell carriers, although they are all pretty standard.
  • alanyualanyu Posts: 73
    edited January 2020
    Carbon wheels or alu wheels? If alu, I would recommend Baradine brake pads (three colors type) and shoes. They are very cheap, and works better than shimano R55C4 in wet.
  • simon_esimon_e Posts: 1,685
    edited January 2020
    As imposter2.0 said, any brand of Shimano road compatible shoes will do though the pads from the cheaper brands are poor. I bought Shimano R55C3 shoes and pads last time, though my preferred pads are Kool Stop salmon & black. If that's what you're after then look for Kool Stop Dura Type brake shoes.

    If you can push to it, a better brake upgrade is to replace them with one of Tektro's better models or Shimano Tiagra 4700 calipers.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
Sign In or Register to comment.