Whyte S-150crs V2 29er vs G-170crs V2 29er

aldragicevich
aldragicevich Posts: 7
edited January 2020 in MTB buying advice
I am completely baffled on what bike to get between these 2.
I've only demoed the S-150crs and I did love it, but it's my first full suspension so that is a bit of a biased view.

I don't think I plan on doing MASSIVE gap jumps, but I absolutely love going fast, but I am still learning a lot.

My regular rides are at a local trail centre, I ride most of it on my hard tail except the Grade 4/5 tracks (as they are too bumpy for me to enjoy it).

There is a DH shuttle park near me but it's too far to be a regular ride. About 1hr & 15mins. But I would definitely start going to it maybe once a month or less after I get my new bike.

Any recommendations?
Will the G-170crs absolutely suck on trails? Or will it still be blast? Just need to go fast?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    With the G-170 you will probably be overbiked for a lot of the time, the G-150 some of the time. You have to consider what you are riding most of the time, you'll be suprised how much time is spent riding gently underlating trails and going uphill.
    Some people have ridden the Megavalanche on hartails and that's pretty brutal.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Agree with robertpb.

If you are used to riding a HT then 150 FS is a lot. 170 is really for full on DH and might be less fun the rest of the time. I've seen a lot of people selling 170 type bikes in favour of 150 or less. They thought `the bigger the better` but actually it's not the case. Some of the newer 120 or 130 specced FS trail bikes are well suited to what you might like.

More travel does not equal faster. My HT is just as fast on hard pack single track as my FS. On bumpy stuff the FS really helps.

BTW - my FS is 140mm Enduro bike and works well on XC type terrain (arguaby slightly over biked) but works perfectly well on Bike Parks etc for the occasional trip out.

You don't need 170 to have the sort of fun that you want!

"Ride, crash, replace"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Consider something with a bit less travel, a bit less weight and maybe better suited to what you say you want an FS for.

I had a Whyte T130 (130mm travel) and I would happily have taken it to Bike Park Wales instead of the YT Capra (165mm) that I also had at the same time.

See this review for the T130 S:
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/27-5-full-suspension-bikes/whyte-t-130-works-scr-review

The Whyte T130 has a big range, so there will be something to suit you.
    The bike is fast and agile and just sucks up the trail bumps as though it has more travel than it really has. The suspension is easy to set up, but you do need to spend some time on it. As this is your first FS, consult this guide to suspension from Bike Rumour.

https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/
  • Thanks guys! I will get the S-150 :)
    The T-130 is tempting, but I might go to a DH park once every few months or more so the S-150 should be perfect!