The colour pink?

Long story but I'll try to be brief.
My 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport was satin black with black decals- very stealth.

Unluckily the frame has cracked but luckily the lifetime warranty means I'm being given a replacement frame FOC by Spesh. It also gets better because the replacement is the new frame released in 2018 with lowered seat stays, narrower tubes, a higher grade carbon and lighter..... great news.

The new frame is satin black again with the only decals being 'Specialized' on the down tube.
However the 'Specialized is in acid pink!
I quickly checked the web to find it is the men's version from the Tarmac expert 2018......(I was worried it was the ladies version!)

it seems pink is actually quite common which I've looked on Google (even Danny McCaskill had pink decals on his Santa Cruz)

I live in Yorkshire rather than California so I expect some ribbing from my mates

My question is - is pink actually pretty cool if combined with black everything else or should I get some decals pronto?
A matter a taste I know

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's the 21st Century. Nobody cares what colour your decals are.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Spesh replaced a frameset for me two years ago under warranty (which i subsequently ended up crashing :( ). However, the first one they offered had in my eyes a horrible colour scheme so i asked for an alternative and even though it took a few extra days they did just that.

So if you are unsure on the colour it's worth asking if there is an alternative available.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    No problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Nothing wrong with pink in my eyes, quote like it myself as a stand out colour and if it's only the decals anyway at least it's not over the top.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Our club colours are black, white and pink. Mainly pink.

It draws a lot approval at races. Have noticed another club riding in SW London and Surrey that suddenly has the same colour scheme. Slightly annoying.

Still, pink is excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Think Pink
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,078
    apc1 said:

The new frame is satin black again with the only decals being 'Specialized' on the down tube.
    However the 'Specialized is in acid pink!
    My question is - is pink actually pretty cool if combined with black everything else or should I get some decals pronto?
    A matter a taste I know

I have the reverse colour way for my gravel/winter bike. No ribbing, but a lot of positive comments. I am considering pink-on-black for my next road bike to keep this theme going.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    edited January 2020
    Fellas, is it gay to have 3mm worth of pink decal on my black bike? /s

I have a purple sparkly bike and a black bike with pink decals and bar tape. Since it's not 1972, nobody takes the mick, and the purple one in particular gets plenty of admirers. And I'm much further north, since that appears to mean something.
  • apc1
    apc1 Posts: 49
    Thanks all for the very positive feedback!.... I think I'm converted

Your gravel bike looks great Red Rider.... pink with black works very well.

The other option (not that I was given it) for the tarmac expert for the same year was gloss red which now seems to look a bit dated dare I say!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    The trope of pink for girls and blue for boys is a relatively modern construction, only coming into popular use post-WW2.

Going further back in history pink was actually more commonly though of as a colour for boys.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Pink is good. Obviously you have never worn a pink shirt and tie. Its a colour and a nice one. nothing girlie about it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wow just wow 😮
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Pink is the navy blue of India (also a song by Aerosmith) and it hasn't done Rapha any harm
  • amrushton said:

Pink is the navy blue of India (also a song by Aerosmith) and it hasn't done Rapha any harm

my new obsession...
    left the forum March 2023
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    asprilla said:

Our club colours are black, white and pink. Mainly pink.

It draws a lot approval at races. Have noticed another club riding in SW London and Surrey that suddenly has the same colour scheme. Slightly annoying.

Still, pink is excellent.

Similar here; navy blue and fuchsia. Stands out easily against others.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Phil at Cyclefit had a pink Serotta back in the day. A stunning looking bike.
  • Many years ago (before my time) pink was considered a very masculine colour. It is only in fairly recent times (historically) pink has become associated, not with men but with women
    it's just pink and it's just one colour (or blend of colours)