Optical HRM - which one?

Hi,
Looking for an optical HRM.
3 options are Polar OH1+, Wahoo TICKR Fit, or Scosche Rhythm 24.
I just want it to stick on my arm and have it talk to my Wahoo.

Any thoughts or experience, on these three?

Or is there something cheaper that is just as good, and, if so, what is it?

Cheers,
D

Comments

• akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I've got the older Scosche, the Rhythm +. Quite hard to find in the UK, I got mine from Go Outdoors. The others can be found on Amazon and Wiggle.

I wouldn't go back to a chest strap, arm based is much more comfortable, especially when sweating heavily. Battery lasts hours rather than months compared to a button cell powered chest strap, don't forget to charge it. My Scosche doesn't report battery life to my Garmin that I can tell, but there is an official phone app that shows the battery.

DC Rainmaker (Google him if you're not familiar, very in-depth reviews) switched his recommendation from the Scosche to the Polar recently. His decision seems largely based on the app ecosystem and recording functions on the devise itself, neither of which might interest you. His opinion, at the time of the Polar review in March 2019, was that the Polar "probably [has] a slight accuracy edge" compared to the Scosche, but that fairly measured statement makes me think either would be acceptable.
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    I still wear my chest strap. Maybe it's the Fenix 5x, maybe my wrists are too hairy, I don't know, but the readings from the optical sensor are all over the place. This is just a steady warmup on the trainer spinning easy gears...

• I've none of the ones you are looking at but I do have a Fenix 5S, it doesn't seem very stable for HR readings unless the strap is quite tight on my wrist which isn't comfortable for me. I also have found it to be a consistent 2 bpm above the chest straps, Wahoo and Garmin, I use when I have compared both methods.
    For me, I still use a chest strap for any time I'm on the bike.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    If you speak to or just read his reviews you will see that DC Rainmaker still recommends chest strap hrm over the optical ones.

They are improving but sweat seems to interfere with the sensors making the readings inconsistent and unreliable during hard training sessions - although some are better than others.

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    I have a Fenix 5S but the optical HRM isn't accurate enough when riding and under records my HR by at least 5%.

I now use a Wahoo TICKR HRM chest strap and find it much better (more accurate). It also works with ANT and Bluetooth.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-tickr-heart-rate-monitor/

I used to have a Polar H7 in the past but for some reason the Bluetooth was a bit variable and I finally gave up on it. Not to say that their newer stuff isn't up to standard.

DC Rainmaker is very good for reviews and has helped me make buying decisions in the past.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I had an Amazfit Pace watch, which had an optical HR sensor. It read quite differently to my cheststrap and Garmin, but it was a fraction of the price (but has since died, 50 weeks after I bought it!?).

I don't have an issue with the chest strap, can't see why it should be uncomfortable.
  • I have the older Scosche one, and it is excellent. I never like wearing a chest strap, and the upper arm is much better for me. Very accurate and reliable too.