Specialized Tarmac Sport - Sizing & Fit (5'10")

boyceuk
boyceuk Posts: 8
edited January 2020 in Road buying advice
Looking at a Specialized Tarmac Sport for my first road bike. It looks great and 2019 models are currently on crazy good deals.

I'm keen to get the sizing right, so have test rode a few different brands, taken my own measurements, studied geometry charts, and even got advice at a Specialized Concept Store!

I'm 35, 179cm tall (5'10.5"), with a rather leggy 85cm inseam. I'm flexible - can touch my knuckles on the floor, but don't have the strongest of cores.
Going by the Specialized size charts I'm well into the 56cm, which is for riders 175 - 180cm. Are these charts normally right?

The first shop I went to asked my height, then quickly said, "oh you're the same height as me so you'll definitely be a 54cm".
The Specialized Concepts Store took my height and inseam, and the fit computer came out with a 56cm. But it felt too reachy for me, so the fitter changed the stem out for a 90mm and also let me ride the 54cm.
The 56cm still felt a bit too reachy as my arms were lockout when I was on the hoods. The 54cm felt better, but I'm concerned I might end up with too much weight on my hands with the big seat to bar drop.

The 56cm is REACH: 395, STACK: 565
The 54cm is REACH: 384, STACK: 544
So sizing down is only a 11mm difference in reach, but a bigger 21mm drop in stack.
Weirdly, after he'd changed out the 100mm stem to a 90mm steam, the reach should have been identical and the 56cm having 21mm higher stack should have been more comfortable, but for some reason I was still edging towards the 54cm.

In the past I've ridden mountain bikes, so even something really endurance like a Domane is going to be much more forward and down than I'm used to. Maybe I just need to try the Tarmac and see if I get on with it, or would a different brand me more suited?

People with similar leggy height / inseam. How did you find the right size for you?

Comments

• I’m 5ft 8 with 30 ish inseam and bought a 54.
  • I’m 6ft and bought a 58 which I love. I was measured up by a concept store too who were clear 58 right for me. I’ve dropped a couple of spacers off since purchase.
    56 sounds right especially as you are young and have good flexibility.
    Fab bikes. Quick and do everything with good comfort.
    Good luck with your purchasing!
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    It sounds like the 56cm may be right for you but you should be able to get either to be a good fit. I’m 181cm (5’11.5”) tall and ride a 56cm. I wouldn’t want any smaller (and probably not any bigger either) It’s a bike that you should feel stretched out on so as long as it’s comfortable and you’re not excessively stretched it should be fine.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    5ft 9" with 32 inseam. Chart suggested I was right in between 54&56 but I had a full bike fit and 54 was the right size.

If in doubt have a bike fit in store as part of the purchase.
  • im 6ft with a 32inch leg and ride a 56. probably best if you can get a sit on both a 54 and 56 for comparison.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • I did test ride both the 54 and 56cm round the car park, but as a new rider I don't have a frame of reference of what is "right".

If I'd been riding a XXcm for a year and found it too big, I'd know to go down a size this time.
    I might not know till I've bought one and been riding it a month or two.

By the end of the test ride the fitter did say it was close, but I looked more comfortable on the 54cm. This could be due to me wrongly holding myself too upright and saying the 56cm felt reachy.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Well if the fitter was experienced I would listen to him and go with the 54cm.

Don't forget, it's always easier to get the right fit on a bike slightly too small than one too big.