Flying with bike

When I travel with my bike, I've always shipped it in a Trico case. Given that some airline bike fees have come down and shipping costs have gone up, flying with my bike may actually be cheaper. Since I've shipped my bike many times, I'm obviously ok with the whole dismantling and rebuilding process. What I would like to hear are other people's experiences and tips with the logistics of dealing with an oversize bag as big as a bike box. For example:

- How do you deal with the various airport shuttles (i.e. parking/hotel)? Sometimes shuttles are just buses without a separate luggage compartment and you bring your bags onboard with you. There's also times when you are the last stop and the baggage compartment is filled to the brim.
- How is security handled? If you are going through a small airport, there may not be an xray machine large enough for a bike box to go through and the box will have to be opened.
- How do you deal with baggage claim?

Thanks.

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Hiya

Lots of ‘flying with bike’ posts on the forums, a search will reveal much info. Especially any responses I have made (I’m an airline pilot and cyclist!).

To help with your specific questions,

1. Never had a problem with parking and shuttle busses. If you are not travelling alone, go to drop off (lots of uk airports charge for this now, but that’s another argument). Drop bikes off outside the terminal, have one member or more of your group wait there or take them to check in whilst you park the car and catch the bus back to the terminal.

If travelling alone, check with the airport about their shuttle bus service - I’ve not come across a shuttle bus that is not a ‘bus’ as opposed to a mini bus. Ask if they can fit a bike box onboard.

2. Don’t worry about security, that’s the airports problem. If you comply with the airline’s conditions of carriage regarding size, packing etc of your bike box, the airport needs to accommodate that. Unless you are flying into the wilderness somewhere they will have an X-ray machine that accommodates outsize baggage. Like I said, it’s the airports problem, not yours. X-ray machine or not your bike box may well have to be opened, but you will be there so can open and close it for them if you want it locked. There is no reason other than customs for opening it otherwise. Airport security should all be done in your presence.

3. What do you mean by ‘deal’ with baggage claim? I get a trolley, collect my bag and collect my bike - sometimes it will come out on the conveyor, sometimes there is an ‘outsize baggage’ collection point. Just ask at the airport if you can’t find it.

Hope this helps.

PP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Addition to the above from my experience.
    Shuttle buses at airports do not have separate luggage. You have to stand with your bag or if you are lucky get a seat where you can hold it. You won’t be able to lie it down and it will move.
    Transfer buses to hotels have separate luggage compartments. Get a seat where you can keep an eye on what’s coming out.
    YMMV.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited January 2020
    re the x-ray etc, that's the easy bit. Arrive at airport and the first action is to drop off the bike bag at the oversize luggage door (usually hidden far away from the main tourist part) and you don't have to worry about it again until it arrives at your destination.
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle
    edited January 2020
    I've always been lucky enough to have a willing wife to drop me and bike bag off at airport and usually go with a biking holiday firm or shuttle firm at the other end who are expecting you plus bike and have a van plus trailer.

One Summer Morzine trip though back in 2006 my buddy was really late arriving at Gatwick. He was trying to get on a bus from West Norwood to wherever with luggage plus a bike bag the week after the London tube bombings. Bus drivers weren't letting him get on as everyone was on heightened awareness and very nervous about people carrying massive bags
    FCN = 4
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    mtb-idle said:

re the x-ray etc, that's the easy bit. Arrive at airport and the first action is to drop off the bike bag at the oversize luggage door (usually hidden far away from the main tourist part) and you don't have to worry about it again until it arrives at your destination.

Err, not quite, you have to go to check-in FIRST to get a label on the bike box and have it accepted for carriage by the airline (they weight it and ask you what’s in it etc and check that you have purchased your ‘sports equipment/ bicycle’ carriage if you purchased online). Without the scannable bar code the outsize baggage/ security will just turn you away and tell you to go to check-in.

PP

• mtb-idle
    fair enough, i was summarising, but it's still the first thing you get rid of
    FCN = 4