Consumer Rights - Proving a bike part was faulty (Ultegra crank failure)

Hi, I have a 3.5 year old bike that has done 8,600km from a well known online bike retailer. This week my Ultegra FC-6800 cranks failed and had to be replaced. Shimano offer a 2 year warranty on Ultegra stuff but have been known to replace ones older than 3 years. This issue is know to Shimano, e.g:

https://carlinthecyclist.com/epic-failure-ultegra-6800-11-speed-crank/

I have raised the issue with the retailer but they are refusing to help as they are older than 2 years (they have suggested I try direct with Madison, the UK distributor, whom I have no contract with). Under Consumer Law I can expect the cranks to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality for up to 6 years, however it is now up to me to prove that the part was faulty or had a known defect.

The opinion of an 'expert' is what I need and possibly I can get this from a LBS, but I guess they would be reluctant to do this for many reasons - perhaps someone would do it personally (I would be happy to pay).

Does anyone have any experience of proving a bike part was faulty? Or any other suggestions as to how to proceed? I appreciate a set of cranks is 'only' £150, but the principle of this is important to me.

Thanks

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I can't advise on consumer rights but I would imagine that you will have to demonstrate that the failure rate is sufficiently high to demonstrate that there is an inherent fault or latent defect. That's very difficult to show unless the manufacturer shares the data openly.

Looking at the web for reported failures doesn't really help because for every failure there is likely to be many thousands of happy consumers who have not experienced any failures. Very few people will ever jump onto a cycling forum to tell us all that there cranks are still performing well after 3.5 years and 8,600km of riding.

Many legal websites offer snippets of advice for free so worth having a Google at the likes of this:
    https://www.daslaw.co.uk/blog/your-rights-and-options-if-you-buy-faulty-goods

Good luck but life is too short to pursue these principles IMHO.
  • I've actually sort of answered my own question already. On the Shimano website they list Shimano Service Centers and my closest is Mitchell Cycles in Swindon. Spoke to a very nice helpful man there (Dave) who confirmed they can help. I need to send the cranks to them, they will do an initial inspection FoC and if they think it is worth it, they will take it up with Shimano and charge a very reasonable £15 for the privilege.

BTW he was aware of the issue and confirmed that Shimano have replaced cranks beyond the 2 year warranty previously.

Navrig2, thanks for your input. I agree it is impossible to tell failure rates from the internet and Shimano sells thousands of these each year. I know what you mean about life being too short, but I feel sometimes it's worth the fight - especially if you can share it with others so that they can benefit from it.

I will keep you posted!
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I've been through this myself about 3 years ago. My cranks were nearly 3 years old, I had the same response initially from the shop but was directed to Madison, and eventually I got a new set of cranks.
    There was a similar post on Roadcc a month ago (I think it was) got into an argument with some guy who said the problem was caused by Turbo use. My bike had never been on a turbo!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited January 2020
    davep1 said:

I've been through this myself about 3 years ago. My cranks were nearly 3 years old, I had the same response initially from the shop but was directed to Madison, and eventually I got a new set of cranks.
    There was a similar post on Roadcc a month ago (I think it was) got into an argument with some guy who said the problem was caused by Turbo use. My bike had never been on a turbo!

That guy on road.cc (judge deadful) is milemuncher/bikergrovish/killerclown/etc - well-known on these forums and one of the most prolific trolls on the internet.

Here he is on cyclechat (username 'racing roadkill') using his own posts on road.cc as evidence. You couldn't make it up - except he is. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-trainer-hybrids.256356/
  • Thanks guys. Mine has also never been on a turbo.

@davep1 Thanks for the road.cc post. So you got a replacement dealing directly with Madison? How did you make contact with them? They have a contact-us form that is very basic and only allows ~200 characters. I have messaged them but I wasn't hopeful.
  • davep1
    Squeeze - it was a while ago now. I think my bike shop may have sent an introductory email which I could then follow up. Will see if I can find anything.
  • Thanks davep1, I would appreciate that.
  • davep1

davep1 said:

That guy on road.cc (judge deadful) is milemuncher/bikergrovish/killerclown/etc - well-known on these forums and one of the most prolific trolls on the internet.

Here he is on cyclechat (username 'racing roadkill') using his own posts on road.cc as evidence. You couldn't make it up - except he is. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-trainer-hybrids.256356/
    I thought what he was saying was a load of pseudo physics stuff, sad waste of space.
  • davep1
    squeeze said:

Thanks davep1, I would appreciate that.

I went to the shop I got the bike from, and they called Madison, who then responded to my email. I explained the bike was three years old and I had ridden 19000 kms on it, that I didn't expect a full replacement free of charge but was looking for a good contribution. I also laid it on thick about how dangerous it could be, and that is shouldn't happen.
    They eventually said as a goodwill gesture they would replace the crankset. They sent it to my LBS who fitted it for me.