Increasing Gear Range on my CAADX

ThePedalDancer
ThePedalDancer Posts: 23
edited January 2020 in Road buying advice
Currently have a 2017 Tiagra CAADX and wondering if it's worth upgrading the gears on it. Love the bike but it's only issue is the fairly high gear ratio for climbing and the low gear ratio for descending.

Think of putting a 50/34 on it with an 11-34 cassette.

Is this possible and would I need to change the rear derailleur too in order to accommodate a larger cassette?

Am I right in thinking I need....

A new chainset
A new cassette
A new chain

And then fit them accordingly?

Cheers
Dave

Link to the bike

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caadx-tiagra-2017-cyclocross-bike-EV280340

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Depends whether your RD is a SS short cage, max low sprocket of 28T or a GS medium cage, max low sprocket 34T with a front double crankset.
  • dj58 said:

Depends whether your RD is a SS short cage, max low sprocket of 28T or a GS medium cage, max low sprocket 34T with a front double crankset.

Cheers, think it's a medium cage that's fitted, in that case think I'll just stick a 34 cassette on it and leave the front as it is.

Do have a TCR that has bigger rings on the front in all fairness so I'll see if I can increase that to 34 as well, although I have a feeling it has a short cage derailleur on it. :(
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    For most things, a 34/50 front with a 11-30 rear should give you all you need and has the advantage that a 30 will be less demanding on the rear mech.
  • Well the kind of riding I'll be doing on both would be very hilly. Have been in the Peaks and Mallorca on the cross bike with 36/28 and it makes a lot of the climbing fairly brutal at times.

Will take on board what you say about the rear mech doing less work thoigh, would a 32 be a good compromise then in that case?
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I’ve got a 2015 tiagra caadx and run a 50/34 and 11/34, it works well, I seem to have lost a bit of top end speed going downhills but getting up them is much easier. I suffer from a couple of health issues so needs must!
  • the_rover said:

I’ve got a 2015 tiagra caadx and run a 50/34 and 11/34, it works well, I seem to have lost a bit of top end speed going downhills but getting up them is much easier. I suffer from a couple of health issues so needs must!

Sorry to hear of the health issues, no shame in more gears either way though in my opinion.

Out of interest then can I ask which chainset you went for in the end and did you have to change your BB to accomodate?

At the moment my big ring is 46 so I'd actually gain some top end speed from a 50!
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If your getting a bigger cassette you will very likely need a slightly longer chain, but getting a new chain with a new cassette would be a good idea anyway.
    I went from 50/34 and 11-30 to 11-32 then 11-34 with 46/34 (sora).

I think the new GRX 10 speed set is cross compatble with Tiagra, so there should be a good choice of chainsets and cassettes available across the two groups.
  • Recently upgraded my Whyte Devon bike which was a 9 speed double with 11/32 rear cassette for the hell of it Cost £250 Parts bought in sale / ebay all new . List 1 mechanical Ultregra RH STI/ SLX 700 Rear derailler (will handle up to 46 teeth and more)/11 speed scram chain/Narrow/Wide 44T chainring from spa cycles and new shorter chain ring bolts/ Sunrace 11/46 11 speed cassette / new BB ( did need spacers) and a widget . The widget is a pulley shift mate 8a which allows you to use the Ultregra STI with a Shimano rear MB derailluer as the cable pull is diffferent Should add the bike has TRP RD/HY brakes which made life easier Does it work . Oh yes and makes me believe that when Shimano bring out a 12 speed mechanical road STI which can be run with a 10/50 cassette then Doubles will be unnecessary Jumps between gears excellent, really smooth and while I lose .55 of my top speed (about 2-3 mph going downhill) I now have a bale out gear for the steep hills around us and at 60 I need all the help I can get. Try it especially if like me you want to get off the road and explore the Countryside . No front derailluer and the Whyte will take up to 40 mm tyres. I will take this bike for light touring duties across Europe and just put on a smaller chainring and new chain . Don’t just sit there get out there
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    @OP since we are both doing the Fred I thought I’d share this ;-)

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Wolf-Tooth-Components/RoadLink-Rear-Derailleur-Adapter-p64179/

Heading down to my LBS at the weekend to see if it will work as I fancy a 40 tooth on the back for the Fred.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu