New member getting back into cycling - Hello.

Hello,

I'm a 39 year old male who has decided to get back into doing a bit of cycling after a good few years of being bikeless. I'm hoping to go on bike rides as a family with my kids and wife, as well as looking to get into some more adventurous stuff. In the past I used to do a bit of very tame mountain biking, but that was when 26 inch wheels were the norm and the more gears you had, the better!!. I'm really surprised at how much bikes have moved on since I was last into them but am enjoying the learning.

After visiting, and taking advice from, two local bike shops and two different Halfords stores, I've narrowed down my search for a new bike and hope to place an order from my local independent bike shop tomorrow. I've purchased a helmet and a decent D lock and cable so i'm ready to go (at a very basic level) :) . Other accessories on my shopping list include : Lights, pump (travel pump and floor pump), puncture repair kit and mudguards. Are there any other items I need to add to the list in order to get me started? Any recommendations on any of the items mentioned?

While i'm keen to support my local independents, I'm also curious to know what online shops people frequent on here - Evans Cycles and Tredz seem to be pretty big online, and i've noticed that Tweeks seem to have competitive prices but get slammed on their google reviews for delivery and customer service - Any other reccomendations to keep in mind (or avoid)?

I don't live anywhere as well suited to mountain biking as many on here do, but I hope to explore the areas around me - Wendover, Ashridge, Rushmere, Dunstable Downs and the Chilterns.

Cheers for now.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    There is quite a lot riding around Wendover, the Wendover Bash was the first MTB racing and trials event in the UK back in 1984.
    We have an annual ride there with the people who ran this, I've been going since 1985.
    You don't say which bike you are going to get, might help for recommendations.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Hi Robert, thank you for replying. Wendover's within half an hour from me and I've walked around the woods fairly regularly, so I'm keen to visit with a bike in tow.

You raise a fair point re the missing info - I've opted for a Whyte 629.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Welcome back to MTB.

I still have 26" wheels on both my FS and HT but they are certainly not an option on newer bikes any more. 3x has been replaced by 1x. The list goes on!

How much is the 629 costing?

In terms of kit:
    • Gloves
    • Padded shorts
    • Backpack/Camelbak
    • Shoes - plenty of people wear trainers/trail shoes but if you do get adventurous, something more MTB specific might be nice
    • Sensible waterproof outer layer? This could be a shell jacket or maybe DWR softshell?
    Bike `tools`
    • Spare tube
    • Small pump
    • Tyre levers
    • Snacks
    • Multi-tool
    • First aid kit
    • Spare top
    • Small torch
    There are other posts with the `what goes in your backpack` type questions. Mine is like a man bag and has many things. Not all useful.

"Ride, crash, replace"
  • Billycool, thanks for your informative reply - I'll add to my list. I note the spare inner tube etc.. but I read that going tubeless is also an option people are taking. What are the relative merits of tubed vs tubeless biking???

I've got the Whyte for £200 off the RRP with some upgraded pedals thrown in. Initially I had set myself a budget of £750 but I've crept over it without meaning to. It's more bike than I need right now, but assuming I get into this hobby, I'll be glad of my investment in the longer term. I had been considering the Whyte 529 and a Specialized Rockhopper X1, as well as considering the highly reviewed Voodoo Bizango at first, but the 629 topped the list for me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    629 is a good bike, it's also quite a lot of bike and you'll need some commitment to get the best from it.

The Whyte dropper post has had some teething problems and a lot of people have swapped to the Brand-X, although the number of reported issues has dropped off so maybe they've got on top of it.

I ride a Whyte T129 and am on both the main Whyte facebook pages.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie, I pick it up next Saturday and am looking forward to getting out on it. I'll keep an eye out for any issues with the dropper post, cheers.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    One item not mentioned so far is a shock pump. You will need a shock pump to set up your fork to suit your weight and riding style. They are about £25 and it will last you for ever! They are basically a high pressure low volume air pump with a dial gauge. The dial gauge will not be guaranteed for accuracy, but they are always repeatable which is all you need.

How to set up your suspension in 10 mins, by Bike Radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhnKTZu2AKs&feature=youtu.be
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Going tubeless is also a good idea, depending on where you ride thorns are a pain in the tube !! as well as elsewhere. Plenty of info on Youtube, I have converted a pump up garden sprayer to inflate, best thing I have done going tubeless.
  • Thank you Steve. Useful video there, will watch it again when I have the bike with me to test the theory out.

Lots of useful info and experienced people on this forum it seems!! :)
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    The headline `benefits` of going tubeless are:

Depending on where you ride, usually if you pick up thorns etc, the tyre loses a tiny bit of air and then the sealant blocks the hole and you carry on riding. With tubes you're pretty much guaranteed a flat. My mates record was 15 thorns in his tubeless tyre when he fitted a new one.You just leave them in and don't worry about it

Weight - taking out the weight of a tube front and rear is helpful.

Tyre pressure - you can generally run your at a lower PSI as you can't pinch the inner tube. The arguement is you get more grip off road. There did seem to be a fad about how low you could go. I don't like tyre pressure too low as the tyre moves arounds too much. Very much a personal preference thing.

Some people will say it's not worth it and if like me, you live in areas with loads of hawthorn hedges, it's a blessing. I still carry a spare tube though as a larger puncture/split that the sealant can't handle might need a tube to get you home (or help out other people who don't have one).
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I agree with all BC says above, 4 years tubeless and zero punctures. I used to average about 1 every 6 months on the same riding.

Despite that I carry a spare tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Shock pump purchased! - Thanks for the tips on that one :)

I shall look into the tubeless option more, but so far i'm hearing only advantages of going tubeless.

Really looking forward to picking the bike up now.