Giant TCR Advanced L to small? (1.86 m tall, 90 cm inseam)

Hi all

I'm about to buy my first roadbike and went to a shop this weekend to try the Giant TCR Advanced. Their fitting software said an XL would fit me best, but they only had an L in stock. So the two pictures below are on a L frame. My inseam is 90 cm and I'm 1.86 m tall. Based on that a L would suit me best according to the Giant website. I also used an online fitting tool and according to the measures I'm getting from there L would also suit better (effective top tube length + stem length should be 68.7 cm according to the tool and is 69 cm on a L (vs. 72.5 cm on a XL).

On the ride around the block the L felt comfortable as far as I can tell (literally first time I sat on a Road Bike). But I'm not sure whether L is too small because the salesperson said I should probably go for a XL and because I also think the frame looks quite small on the pictures (but I read that this could be because it is a compact frame).

So tl,dr: I'm unsure about the sizing, have no experience with Road Bikes and would therefore love to hear you thoughts/advice.

Here are the results from the online fitting tool followed by the pictures of me on the L frame:

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    L should be perfect for you, from your measurements.

I'm 193cm and ride an L, it's quite an aggressive fit (as in, relatively low at the front) but perfect for me as I'm relatively short legged (91cm inseam).

Going from the photos you look pretty upright, obviously if you are new to road bikes it will take a bit of time to adjust but you will probably want to drop down the stem a fair bit to give yourself a more aerodynamic profile - you can take this a little bit at a time.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    I'd say large too. The reach on the XL would be too long for me and I'm 193cm.

Can't you find another shop that has an XL in stock for you to sit on, then at least you can set your mind at rest as to which is the most comfortable for you.
  • I’m 6 foot with 34 inch inseam and ride a M/L TCR, an XL sounds way too big for you . . .
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • Thanks for all the helpful answers! So I guess I was just not used to the compact riding position and L is the way to go. I will try to test ride some other models from other brands to get a feel for what suits me.