Bike tour in Europe - Probably France, Recommendations

Last year my partner and I dipped our toe in to bike touring by doing a week-long tour from Cambridge -> Dover, through France -> Oudernaade -> Brugge -> Dunkirk -> Brighton and then the train home.

We both enjoyed it and looking to do something again this year but perhaps somewhere further into Europe. I am flying for work this year and we have also agreed on another holiday involving flying, as such we would like to stick to no-flying methods of transport for this holiday to limit our emissions.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for bike tour routes?

I have a route in mind which is Eurostart to Paris, train to Strausberg and then cycle up to Brussles but wanted to get some other ideas of good routes that are easily accessible by train from Paris or Brussels (to get the Eurostar from London).

something in the region of 400 ish miles but could go longer if needed/it's a good route.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    edited January 2020
    I have no recent experience of rail and bike in France but can recommend the European Bike Express. It’s a luxury coach with double decker trailer to carry all types of bikes, even tandems. I’ve used this system many times over the years and it’s a worry-free experience.

The coach travels down the M1 and round London to Dover with a choice of pick-up points, some with car parking. There are three routes to western France, eastern France and Mediterranean and Spain with lots of drop-off points. You travel overnight through France and get dropped off around 6am, for example, if you are going to the south of France. You can combine two routes for a linear route across France, have a circular touring holiday or a one-way trip, so there’s huge scope.

http://www.bike-express.co.uk/

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Have you considered the European Bike Express? It’s a luxury coach with double decker trailer for any type of bike and various routes across France with lots of pick-up and drop-off points. It’s a worry-free experience and no hassles with booking trains. I’ve used it many times over the years.

http://www.bike-express.co.uk/