Replacement Speedplay Bowties

I have some X1 and X2 Speedplay pedals. In the past I have purchased titanium Speedplay bowties from aftermarket sellers found on ebay. None have been good. All have released under various levels of pressure. Are any of these titanium versions any good? If so, who would people recommend? Thanks!

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Don’t go for titanium, go for stainless steel. I buy mine (for Speedplay Zeros) from Dulight in France. Cheap as chips, properly machined like the originals, not like the cheap and nasty Chinese ones.

PP
  • Thanks PP, I have looked at Dulight's website. I cant see any X series Bowties listed. I will email them...
  • pilot_pete
    Worth a try...

I am thinking of starting a thread requesting all Speedplay users. The reason is to get them to contact Wahoo Fitness, who bought the Speedplay brand last September to lobby for genuine spares at sensible prices to be made available.

The founder and designer of Speedplay pedals, Richard Byrne decoded many moons ago to make limited spares available, to charge a fortune for them and encourage owners to return the pedals to the factory for a full rebuild. The problem with this was that the cost of the rebuild was more than a new set of Chromoly pedals!

So, many like me would just buy a new set of Zero chromoly pedals and swap the bodies onto our old stainless/ titanium axles. The new pedals come with a set of cleats which are £50+.

In these changing times regarding sustainability I find it distasteful that a company like this chooses not to make their product repairable with simple, cheap spares merely because they want to force you into buying another new pedal.

Now, we can all take the plunge into buying aftermarket copies of the relevant parts and understandably Speedplay want nothing to do with this, but they have also aggressively pursued individuals legally who have ventured into making aftermarket spares.

The answer of course is to not buy into this and change pedal suppliers but I really like the system which works exceptionally well for me. So I am hoping that Wahoo Fitness, with some consumer persuasion may change attitude and make spares such as bow ties, pedal bodies, rebuild kits etc available at sensible prices.

I’ve bought Ti spindles and stainless bow ties from Dulight at very sensible prices - they are well made and fit/ function perfectly. However, I need new bodies for one pair of Zeros now and I can’t source them anywhere and will eventually just have to assign them to the junk parts box keeping the spindles as spares (which I’m unlikely to ever need to replace as it is not really a wear item).

I recently bought two pairs of Zero Pave pedals for a steal from Canyon (£100/pair including cleats) which should do away with the pedal body wear, but the issue of replacement bow ties will become problematic as I have not seen anyone selling those aftermarket (and they are different from the Zero bow ties). I’m looking into getting an engineering works to cut down Zero bow ties to fit if possible.

So, maybe I will start that post on the various fora to hustle support and use a bit of consumer pressure on Wahoo Fitness...

PP
  • pilot_pete
    I contacted Wahoo Fitness a few days ago with feedback about the lack of spares available to keep Speedplay pedals serviceable and the ridiculous, wasteful practice of having to buy complete pedals to get bodies etc when all you needed was spare parts. I am pleased to say their representative has been extremely helpful, taken on all my feedback and assured me that it WILL be forwarded to the appropriate team that has taken over the Speedplay brand. He seems genuinely thankful for the feedback, has taken my contact details and informed me they have some spare part stocks and is going to get back to me if he has the spares I need - Zero pedal bodies and Pave bow ties. Sounds very promising and I think they may be looking at developing the products further and possibly putting spare parts and rebuild kits back on the market.

PP