GPS recommendations

Hi, I’m looking for recommendations between the following two GPS computers please.
Im trying to decide between the Wahoo element and Garmin 520.
I know there are other computers that provide more info etc but I’m happy with the information the above two provide.
Thanks everyone in advance.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Wahoo
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    edited January 2020
    Long story. I started with a Garmin 705 which was great. Upgraded to an 810 which was great until the 520 came out and Garmin piggybacked the firmware, screwing up the 810 reliability. "Upgraded" to an 820 which was utter rubbish with the worst touch screen in history. Constant drop outs and shut downs. Got rid of it within a couple of months and moved to a Wahoo ELEMNT. Great device, never went wrong and ultra simple to set up and connect.

Last year upgraded to the Wahoo ROAM, which is just as reliable with some added features. Over Christmas, I got hold of a Garmin 530 after all the hype that Garmin had sorted themselves out and the 530 was a great device. Sadly, the set up and operation is typical complicated faffing about still and just couldn't be doing with it. Sold it and will keep my ROAM.

Wahoo is so simple to operate and reliable, that my 5 yr old now has my ELEMENT to use.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833

Long story. I started with a Garmin 705 which was great. Upgraded to an 810 which was great until the 520 came out and Garmin piggybacked the firmware, screwing up the 810 reliability. "Upgraded" to an 820 which was utter rubbish with the worst touch screen in history. Constant drop outs and shut downs. Got rid of it within a couple of months and moved to a Wahoo ELEMNT. Great device, never went wrong and ultra simple to set up and connect.

Last year upgraded to the Wahoo ROAM, which is just as reliable with some added features. Over Christmas, I got hold of a Garmin 530 after all the hype that Garmin had sorted themselves out and the 530 was a great device. Sadly, the set up and operation is typical complicated faffing about still and just couldn't be doing with it. Sold it and will keep my ROAM.

Wahoo is so simple to operate and reliable, that my 5 yr old now has my ELEMENT to use.

Similar experience although my Garmin 800 is still working. The Wahoo is much more intuitive.

I won't touch Garmin after my experience of buying and using a Vivoactive 3 watch. Piece of junk.
  • Garmin 520 is superb.
    Better by far then Wahoo.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Never had any issues with my Edge 810... just to counterbalance some of the above. And I know people who have had big problems with the Wahoo versions.

It does look like the Wahoo has better reliability though. Thing that puts me off some of the newer fancier Garmins is the screen having an impact on battery life.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Had the 705/800/1000 and now the 830, never had any major problems with any of them and the 830's battery life is fantastic, maybe I'm lucky who knows!
  • StillGoing

Garmin 520 is superb.
    Better by far then Wahoo.

Go on then, when did you own an ELEMNT and what was the problem?
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    Would the Elemnt which is circa 4 years old still hold its own against the 520 which I believe is newer? Its going for €200 on the wahoo site which isn't too different to CRC for the 520.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    edited January 2020
    it's a bit like Apple v Android, you are either on one side or the other and neither side will ever agree with the other.

For me it's Garmin. I've had the 500, 800 & currently 820 over the last 8 years. No real issues with any of them but YMMV

you just need to make yer choice and go with it
    FCN = 4
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I’ve owned Garmin 800, 1000 and 1030 and never had problems with any of them, although I personally know someone who did have issues with their 1000.

PP
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    prcody said:

Would the Elemnt which is circa 4 years old still hold its own against the 520 which I believe is newer? Its going for €200 on the wahoo site which isn't too different to CRC for the 520.

The 520 was released in 2015, you should be looking at the 530 (2019) a much improved unit.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've had a few minor issues with the Garmins I've had - but 99.9% of the time they just work and do what I ask them to do.
    I have 2 gripes with the 820 I currently use

1) Stem mounting and pushing the bike it's easy to hit the stop/start button - frequently do this on the tourer & MTB as they're both stem mounted and I ride with my 4yo - which involves quite a bit of stopping and walking - I could mount it further forwards or get an outfront mount I guess.

2) When you do press stop you HAVE to save or discard the ride - or press the power button for a few seconds then press Power Off - the 800 I used to use was just press and hold the power button, it turns off and doesn't discard your ride. You can then power on and away you go again - with the 820 you have to stop the ride first. It's just a procedural thing.

I've used 705, 800 (x 2), 810 (x2) and now the 820 - they've all performed as expected with just the odd glitch. I'm sure I'd find a Wahoo similar, but I don't have any need to find out.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited January 2020
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-computers-gps-hrm/lezyne-mega-xl-gps-cycle-computer/11777347.html has great spec for £153, but whether is meets that spec is up for debate, there are some unhappy users out there.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • StillGoing
    prcody said:

The first Wahoo ELEMNT is newer than the 520 and a far better product. You can pick one up new for £175 from retailers.

For comparisons, visit the Garmin forum and the Wahoo forum to assess the level of disappointment from each brand.
    Garmin were the king of GPS head units, but Wahoo recognised their failings. The story is that the idea of the Wahoo devices and their operation was first put to Garmin, but they declined the idea. Instead, the Wahoo was created and is now arguably on an equal footing with Garmin.

As someone mentioned, it's a bit Android or iOS; you're one or the other. I've had Garmin's and won't go back now I've used Wahoo devices. That said, I won't change my Neo for a Kickr though, despite Garmin buying TACX.